Need a little something extra for Valentine’s Day this year, but you want to avoid the average box of chocolates and funny Hallmark card? Consider these gifts we’ve rounded up for every personality type. Maybe she loves to take a day trip, or he’s passionate about local cheeses and wines — there’s something for everyone. Keep reading and feel the love!
For the locavore
Trips to farms, endless goodies from farmers markets and artisan merchant gifts — these are the gifts that show you pay attention to their passions (and who doesn’t love supporting local businesses?).
- Cheese makers. PA and NJ is home to great dairy farms, which is good news for your cheese-lovin’ Valentine. This guide to cheese makers in Bucks County and nearby will give you some great ideas on what cheese to buy for your gift of a homemade charcuterie board.
- Make your own cheese and charcuterie. Cherry Grove Farm in Lawrenceville, NJ offers classes on making a variety of cheeses that you can make at home easily. Bobolink Dairy & Bakehouse has classes on baking (in their wood-fired oven), cheese making and charcuterie.
- Pick up some fresh produce, meats,bread and cheeses from the Wrightstown Farmers Market this Saturday and cook up a delicious Valentine’s Day dinner or breakfast-in-bed.
For the foodie
Maybe your loved one is a Bucks or Hunterdon County resident, or just a traveling foodie with a passion for new experiences. Doesn’t matter, the gift of a trip for two is enough to keep this adventurer satisfied.
- Walking and eating. Make romance last forever with a Sister Cities Valentine’s Day tour on Saturday, February 17 from 4 – 7 pm. The walking tour in New Hope and Lambertville is designed to be romantic and perfect for couples. All you need to do is buy your tickets here.
- Great food, great people. Consider buying your sweetie a gift certificate to the Bucks County Taste Dinner Club. Since 2014, we’ve dined at some of the best restaurants in the Delaware River Valley — and met some great people too. Learn more about the dinner club here and email us if you are interested in purchasing a gift certificate.
- Wine and chocolate. Stroll the historic property of Chaddsford Winery in Chadds Ford, as you visit five stations featuring artisan chocolate carefully paired with their wines. Advanced tickets are $25/person. Arrive anytime between 12 – 5 pm on your reserved date (12 -7 pm on V-Day) to take your pairing tour! Space is limited – reserve your spot today.
For the healthy human
If your Valentine’s Day date is all about the latest and greatest in healthy food trends (and lifestyles), consider getting him or her the gift that keeps on giving — good, wholesome food and drinks that are healthy and all-natural.
- Bring it home. Consider a local home cooking service where you can have healthy home cooked meals delivered ready to heat and serve. Nothing says I love you like getting 8-10 hours back in your week. We recommend Zest Culinary Services (based in Newtown) and Dinner’s Done (based in Upper Bucks), both create delicious meals, customized to any dietary requests. Also, consider having Valentine’s Day dinner delivered to your door by Anna P’s Catering. See her delectable Valentine’s Day menu here.
- A basket of healthy goodies. Organnon’s Market is stocked with organic, vegan, vegetarian and all around healthy options for the health nut in your love life. Make a care package stocked with teas, treats, and other all-natural products, and include a gift card.
- Beyond Valentine’s Day. Take your sweetie for a post Valentine’s Day meal at Clean Roots Vegetarian Cuisine — an up and coming 100% vegetarian cafe and restaurant in bustling Quakertown. They’re known for their spin on classic comfort food.
For the sweet tooth
The sweet tooth is easy to spot. Often times, this person can rarely leave a store without his or her favorite chocolates or candy. Here are some local options for the sweet tooth in your life…
- Artisanal chocolate. Pierre’s Chocolates in New Hope, a small batch chocolatier with beautiful collections of chocolates and truffles. Print out our exclusive interview with the creative geniuses behind the chocolates. It pairs nicely with the treat!
- Custom gift basket. Stop by The Larder, the go-to candy and food supplier store in Doylestown and pick up a custom gift basket, any size and it’s completely made to order. They have hundreds of baking, cooking and snacking items, and products sold in everything from ounces to cases.
- More chocolate. See our post on all chocolatiers and candy stores in Bucks and nearby here.