Looking at the calendar this morning, I thought: How is it August already?!
Soon we’ll send the kiddos back to school, take those final trips down to the shore, and soak up the remainder of summer days. Until then, spend time at local farmers markets because the summer bounty of fruits and vegetables is a-plenty. Big juicy peaches and red, ripe tomatoes. Crisp greens, sweet corn — it’s a great month to live in Bucks County!
August brings those humid, sticky days, so we thought you might need a refreshing way to cool down. Check out our summertime cocktails post complete with recipes and videos on how to make these seasonal adult beverages. Send us a message or drop us a comment if you try any of the drinks out!
Events are listed in chronological order
1. Foodie First Friday
Friday, August 4, Downtown Doylestown, PA
The first Friday of the month means it’s time to visit Doylestown for Foodie First Friday. This monthly event celebrates culture, community and cuisine. Many of the restaurants have specials for the celebration, so try a restaurant you’ve never been to, or stop by your usual place and enjoy your favorites. For a full list of participating restaurants, click here. Be sure to call the restaurants if you are curious about their special menus and happy hours.
2. Farmers Markets in Bucks County
– Lower Makefield Farmers Market, THUR, Aug 3, 3:30 – 6:30 pm, Veterans Square Park, Edgewood Rd at Heacock Rd, Yardley, PA
– Yardley Farmers Market, SAT, Aug 5, 9 am – 1 pm, Buttonwood Park, Main Street and Afton Avenue, Yardley, PA
– Wrightstown Farmers Market, SAT, Aug 5, 9 am – 1 pm, 2203 Second Street Pike, Wrightstown, PA
– Doylestown Farmers Market, SAT, Aug 5, 7 am – 12 pm, South Hamilton St. between West Oakland and West State St. in Doylestown, PA
– Chalfont Boro’s Farmers Market, SAT, Aug 5, 8 am – 12 pm, Krup Park, 40 North Main Street, Chalfont, PA
– Indian Valley Farmers Market, SAT, Aug 5, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm, Penn Avenue and Main St., Telford, PA
– Perkasie Farmers’ Market, SAT, Aug 5, 9 am – Noon, Perkasie Farmers Market, 7th and Market Streets , Perkasie, PA
– Plumsteadville Grange Farm Market, SAT, Aug 5, 9 am – 12:30 pm, Plumsteadville Grange, Keller’s Church Road and Route 611, Plumsteadville, PA
– Quakertown Farmers Market, SAT, Aug 5, 9 am – 9 pm, 201 Station Road, Quakertown, PA
– Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, SUN, Aug 6, 9 am – 1 pm, Dvoor Farm, 111 Mine Street, Flemington, NJ
August produce is here. Let’s see what’s in store at area farmers markets this weekend: Peaches, white nectarines, cantaloupe, early tart apples, slicing & cherry tomatoes, lettuce mix, fennel, summer squash, cabbage, chard, cucumber
s, fresh basil, potatoes, onions, carrots, peppers, beets, eggplant, cut flower bouquets, pastured and organic poultry, meats, and eggs, baked goods mushrooms and more.
Saturday, August 12: Mark your calendars for the first ever ZUCCHINI RACE DAY sponsored by Organnons Natural Market at the Wrightstown Farmers Market.
Make your own unique local vegetable race car and compete for the championship and bragging rights! Prizes and fun for all. Arrival/Registration begins at 10 am and the first race starts at 11 am. Read the rules here, and register for your spot at the welcome table or online at www.
- The Doylestown Farmers Market will have peaches, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, honey, red raspberries, cantaloupe, beets, carrots, green beans, garlic, onions, and more.
- The Yardley Farmers Market will have meats, poultry and eggs, a variety of farm fresh vegetables, mushrooms, artisan breads and bakery items, fermented food and Kombucha, prepared foods, dips and condiments, wine, coffee and tea. And, treats for your four-legged friends!
- The Lower Makefield Farmers Market will have tomatoes, cantaloupe, corn, watermelon, lettuce, lettuce mix, spinach, swiss chard, kale, kohlrabi, eggs, steak, beef, chicken, pork, bread, gluten free baked goods, mushrooms, dog treats, peaches, flowers, flavored popcorn, oil, spices and wine. They also have a food truck, live music, and a fire truck from Yardley-Makefield Fire Co. (for kids to check out).
- Wrightstown Farmers Market will have peaches, blueberries, pears, sweet corn, heirloom and cherry tomatoes, eggplant, green beans, peppers, summer squash, cucumbers, beets, turnips, radishes, a large variety of greens, beautiful flower bouquets and more.
- The Perkasie Farmers Market will have tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, zucchini, cantaloupe, and more summer (August) produce!
Don’t forget there are plenty of farmers markets scattered around Bucks County (and there are some in Montgomery and Hunterdon County, too!). Check out our full guide on farmers markets here.
3. BrightFarms Open House
Saturday, August 5, 9:30 – 11:30 am, BrightFarms Bucks County Farm, 754 Stony Hill Rd., Morrisville, PA
Building greenhouses with local communities is the mission behind BrightFarms, a local produce organization. The Bucks County BrightFarms is hosting an open house this weekend on August 5 from 9 am – 11:30 am. This is a great chance to take a tour of the greenhouse, talk to the BrightFarms team and take home some fresh produce.
4. Heritage Conservancy’s Farm-to-Table Dinner
Saturday, August 5, 5:30 pm, Heritage Conservancy’s Russell-Mandel Preserve, 1515 Holicong Rd., Buckingham, PA
The picturesque property at Heritage Conservancy’s Russell-Mandel Preserve is the perfect place for an early August farm-to-table dinner. Enjoy a gourmet meal prepared by Jamie Hollander Catering & Events, and savor dishes from locally sourced ingredients. Farm-to-table is BYOB. Buy your tickets here (note: they may be sold out because it always does each year!).
5. Peach Sangria Social
Saturday, August 5 and Sunday, August 6, 2 – 5 pm, Villa Milagro Vineyards, 33 Warren Glen Road Finesville, NJ
But one of the best things about peaches is how tasty they are in a cocktail! At Villa Milagro Vineyards in Finesville, NJ, you can come to the winery to taste a Peachy Sangria recipe that was passed down through generations.
The sangria is made with locally grown peaches from Tadayesky Farm. This is a private, organic farm.
Phillips Farm down the road from the vineyard also has fresh peaches for picking or purchasing at their farm stand. The event costs $10 and includes wine tasting, a glass of Peach Sangria, and a monogrammed gift wine glass.
6. Peachy Fun Days
Saturday, August 5 and Sunday, August 6, 11 am – 4 pm, Shady Brook Farm, Yardley PA and The Market at DelVal, Doylestown, PA
Just thinking about a juicy, fresh peach straight from the tree is enough to make a mouth water! Fresh peaches are definitely one of the delights of living in Bucks, and you can pick your own peaches at Shady Brook Farm and The Market at DelVal this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday.
The peachy fun days includes wagon rides to the peach orchard to pick your own peaches, inflatable attractions, jumping pillows, playground, Rose Bank Winery wines, locally brewed craft beer and more. Admission is $5 per person, pick-your-own peaches are $1.49/lb.
7. Bobolink Dairy Farm Pig Roast and Music
Sunday, August 6, 1 – 4 pm, 369 Stamets Road, Milford, NJ
Down on this dairy farm and bakehouse in Milford, NJ, you’ll find a delicious day of food and music. This weekend, the farm is hosting a special event, complete with their roast pork sandwich or grass-fed beef with cheese burger. You can buy a juicy sandwich, or pick up some pork by the pound, packed to go with gravy on the side.
The pork sandwich is served on a roasted garlic and duckfat ciabatta, stuffed with pork and gravy and duckfat pesto. The burgers come with condiments and garden veggies. Fill up, listen to some gypsy jazz, and just relax until Monday.
Have a great weekend!
Summer Brunch at the Golden Pheasant Inn
Sunday, August 27, 11 am – 2 pm
Fresh, seasonal cuisine in a beautiful setting. Does it get much better?
Join us on Sunday, August 27 for a lovely 3-course brunch at the Golden Pheasant Inn in Erwinna.
Imagine sitting by the canal, trying to decide between Grand Marnier French Toast, Eggs Florentine, Rock Shrimp Crepes, or Biscuits, Gravy and Eggs. I never said this was going to be easy!
For more details, the full menu, and to purchase tickets, please CLICK HERE.