Happy Mama’s Day Weekend!
Mixed weather this weekend – beautiful today (Friday), some showers tomorrow, and cooler but sunny on Sunday. Not bad. Tonight is First Friday in Doylestown, so I think I see much sitting outside and sipping/nibbling going on around that town.
You can also swing over to Triumph Brewing in New Hope for their monthly barrel tapping, or fresh, gourmet vegetarian food at the new Sprig & Vine (also in Union Square, New Hope) or the Kindle Café in Lambertville. End the evening listening to Barbara Trent at the Centre Bridge Inn. And that’s just Friday night.
Considering the recent recall of Romaine lettuce in 23 states (including Pennsylvania) due to an e. coli scare, you might seriously consider stopping by one of the local Saturday morning farmers’ markets – Doylestown and Wrightstown – for salad greens. The New Hope Farmers’ Market just got going yesterday, so look for them on Thursday afternoons. What will you find at the markets? Beautiful flowers for mom, lettuce, early greens, radishes, rhubarb, starter herb and vegetable plants, and maybe even strawberries. Some of the markets will also have: pastured beef and chicken; cheeses and yogurt from pastured animals; pastured eggs; bread and baked goods; preserved products; handmade soaps and lotions; honey; organic, fair trade, locally roasted coffees; prepared foods, and fiber products. Make sure to read about all the Bucks farmers’ markets coming this season at our post published earlier this week.
Two famous firehouse and church suppers happening this weekend on Saturday: the Plumsteadville Fire Co.’s Original Family-Style Roast Beef Dinner (drive-thru also!) and the Old Goshenhoppen Reformed Church’s Ham and Roast Beef Dinner. I know the latter is not in Bucks, but it’s nearby and I know their oyster dinner in the fall is very famous. How bad could ham and roast beef be?
If you’re not making breakfast or dinner for your mother, there are plenty of places to go. See our previous post, or take her to any of the many firehouse breakfasts/brunchs/dinners taking place around the county on Sunday.
A peek at next weekend. A brand new farmers’ market opens in Warrington. Eat breakfast inside a covered bridge at Breakfast on the Bridge.
For more details, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Also, please let us know of any food events going on in your neck of the woods. You can find Bucks County Taste on Facebook and Twitter too.
Have a sweet weekend!
Friday, May 7th:
Forecast – Sunny, 72°
- First Friday, Doylestown [evening]
- Barrel Tappings @ Triumph Brewing Co., New Hope [6-7 pm]
- Evening at the Vineyard @ Rose Bank Winery, Newtown [7-9 pm]
- Wine Tasting for Singles @ Crossing Vineyards and Winery, Washington Crossing [7-9 pm]
- Barbara Trent @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [7 – 11 pm]
- Kindle Cafe Supper Club @ Rojo’s Roastery, Lambertville [7:30 – 9 pm]
- All That Jazz – Jazz Night @ Crossing Vineyards and Winery, Washington Crossing [8-10 pm]
Saturday, May 8th:
Forecast – Thunderstorms, 76°
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market, Doylestown [7 am – 12 pm]
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, 2203 Second Street Pike, Wrightstown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am – 3 pm]
- Hoagie Sale @ Upper Gwynedd Fire Co., Upper Gwynedd [10 am-12 pm]
- Wine Tasting for Moms @ Crossing Vineyards, Washington Crossing [12-3 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton [12 – 5 pm]
- Ham and Roast Beef Dinner @ Old Goshenhoppen Reformed Church, Woxall [3-6:30 pm]
- “Original” Family-Style Roast Beef Dinner @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [3-7:30 pm]
Sunday, May 9th:
Forecast – Sunny, 63°
- Breakfast Buffet @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [7 am – 12 pm]
- Mother’s Day Buffet Breakfast @ Hartsville Fire Co., Warrington 8 am-12 pm]
- Breakfast @ American Legion Post, Quakertown [8 am-12:30 pm]
- Breakfast Buffet @ Richland Twp Fire & Rescue, Quakertown [8 am-1 pm]
- Breakfast Buffet @ Silverdale Fire Company, Silverdale [8 am-1 pm]
- Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market, Hellertown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Mother’s Day Breakfast @ Graeme Park, Horsham [9 am-1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am – 3 pm]
- Brunch @ New Hope-Ivyland Railroad, New Hope [11 am-4 pm]
- Mother’s Day Dinner Buffet @ Haycock Fire Co., Quakertown [12-5 pm]
Monday, May 10th:
- Flavor and Color! @ The Cooking Cottage, Sellersville [6:30-8:30 pm]
- Techniques of Cooking I: Grilling, Roasting, Searing Meats @ Carlow Cookery, Doylestown [7-9 pm]
Wednesday, May 12th:
- New York City Noshing Tour by The Cooking Cottage, Sellersville [8 am-7 pm]
- American Legion Meals on Wednesdays, Quakertown [11:30 am-9 pm]
- Complimentary Beer Tasting @ the Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5-9 pm]
Thursday, May 13th:
- New Hope Farmers’ Market, New Hope [3:30-7 pm]
- Lobster Night @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [6-10 pm]