Whoowee! Another great weekend in Bucks County. Temps in the 60’s and 70’s; only a chance of showers on Saturday, maybe “scattered thunderstorms” on Sunday. I’ll take it.
What neat things are on tap this weekend? Ever been to a Beltane Festival? Now’s your chance. Bobolink Dairy Farm & Bakehouse will be holding one on their farm this Sunday, May 15. They will be roasting winter pork and stuffed veal breast, and, of course, they’ll have their wonderful breads and cheeses, and some of their paté de campagne (with wild candy-cap mushrooms, wild garlic and absinthe), and other treats from local farms. There will be ale from the Ship Inn in Milford, as well as some Belgian ale courtesy of Ray Deter of DBA. All this, and tickets have just been reduced to $40 for the whole shindig, which includes music of Heather Wood. The Beltane Festival will be rain or shine and will include a tour of the farm and a visit to the cows and their calves in pasture. To learn more about Bobolink, read this post. To order tickets for the event, click here.
Eggs, pancakes, coffee…There will be four firehouse breakfasts this Sunday! In Perkasie, Sellersville, Riegelsville and Silverdale. See our events calendar for more details on times and locations. The Plumsteadville Firehouse is also holding one of their famous Roast Beef Dinners on Saturday.
To market, to market. The Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market opens for the season this Sunday in Flemington, New Jersey. The market runs from 9 am to 1 pm every Sunday until November 20, 2011. Learn more about their vendors and the upcoming season at their website. If you are wondering what produce you might find this time of year at local farmers’ markets, here’s the list (provided by the Doylestown Farmers’ Market): arugula, asparagus, bok choy, garlic, garlic scapes, green beans, hot house cucumbers and tomatoes, kale, leeks, lettuces, mesclun mix, mushrooms of all sorts, mustard greens, radishes, ramps, rhubarb, scallions, spinach, swiss chard, and watercress. Check it out also at the Wrightstown Market (Saturday mornings), the Doylestown Market (Saturday mornings), the New Hope Farmers Market (Thursday), the Ottsville Farmers Market (Fridays).
Calling all vegetarians. Don’t miss this delicious event at the Yardley Inn. California winemaker Paul Dolan Vineyard produces organically grown, biodynamic wine. Chef Eben Copple at the Yardley Inn will be pairing it with a gourmet vegetarian meal this Thursday, May 19. See their website or call for reservations.
There are several fun events this weekend…that are sold out. So why am I mentioning them? Because you should be on the look-out for them next year. How about the first (hopefully of many) Washington Crossing Brewfest, taking place this Saturday, May 14 from 12:30 to 4:30 pm? Don’t worry. Look for details about the Newtown Beer Fest 2011 Blues & Brews on coming Saturday, September 24, 2011. Sign up for their emails and you’ll know when tickets go on sale.
Also sold out is the (first) Bucks County Wine Trail Spring Tour on Sunday. I say “first” because this year it is being run entirely by the wineries that comprise this association. Also, this year each winery is partnering with a local food source (caterer, store, etc.) to provide delicious bites to pair with the wines. I’ll be tootling around on Sunday, visiting the wineries on a lovely Tastings & Tours van, and plan to write a post about it next week. If you don’t know about Tastings & Tours, read all about them on our previous post, Tasting and touring Bucks County.
If you missed out on the Bucks County Wine Trail Spring Tour, you’ve got a second chance to taste some great local wine and local food. Next Saturday, May 21 is Newtown Uncorked, the annual celebration of wine – from both near and afar – paired with food from local chefs. Click here for more information and to buy tickets online.
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Have a loverly weekend.
Friday, May 13:
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [1-7 pm]
- Ottsville Farmers’ Market @ Linden Hill Gardens, Ottsville [4-8 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [4-6 pm]
- Friday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington, NJ [5-8 pm]
- Spaghetti Dinner @ Delaware Valley Fire Co., Erwinna [5:30 – 7:30 pm]
- Wine Concert Series @ The Market at DelVal, Doylestown [6 pm–9 pm]
- Wine Concert Series @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6 pm–9 pm]
- Wine & Music @ Old York Cellars, Ringoes, NJ [6-9 pm]
- Wine & Cheese Pairing @ Chaddsford Winery, Lahaska [7 pm–9 pm]
- Barbara Trent @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [7-11 pm]
- Kindle Cafe Supper Club @ Rojo’s Roastery, Lambertville, NJ [7:30-9:30 pm]
Saturday, May 14:
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market, Doylestown [7 am-12 pm]
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, Wrightstown [9 am-1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am-4 pm]
- Spring Wine Festival @ Unionville Vineyards, Ringoes, NJ [12-5 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [12-6 pm]
- 1st Washington Crossing Brewfest, Washington Crossing [12:30-4:30 pm]
- Ham & Roast Beef Dinner @ Old Goshenhoppen Reformed Church, Woxall [3-6:30 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ New Hope Beverage, New Hope [3-7 pm]
- Second Saturdays in New Hope, New Hope [3-9 pm]
- Roast Beef Dinner @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [3:30 – 7:30 pm]
- Saturday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington [5-8 pm]
- New Jersey Beer Tasting, Stockton, NJ [6:30 – 8:30 pm]
Sunday, May 15:
- Breakfast @ Perkasie Fire Co., Perkasie [7:30 am – 12:30 pm]
- Breakfast @ Riegelsville Fire Company, Riegelsville [8 am – 12:30 pm]
- Breakfast @ Silverdale Fire Company, Silverdale [8 am – 1 pm]
- Breakfast @ Sellersville Fire House, Sellersville [8 am – 1 pm]
- Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, Flemington, NJ [9 am-1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am-4 pm]
- Bobolink Beltane Festival with Chef Liza Queen, Milford, NJ [12 – 5 pm]
- Bucks County Wine Trail Spring Tour [12 – 5 pm] SOLD OUT
- Spring Tea @ Craven Hall, Warminster [3 pm – 5 pm]
Monday, May 16:
- Soupcon Salon by Kindle Cafe @ Manon, Lambertville, NJ [7 – 9:15 pm]
Tuesday, May 17:
- Cruise Night @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6-9 pm]
Wednesday, May 18:
- Pierogy Wednesdays @ St. Anne Ukrainian, Warrington [9 am – 12 pm]
- Complimentary Beer Tasting @ the Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5 – 9 pm]
- Cook & Eat Healthy, Doylestown Township [6 – 8 pm]
Thursday, May 19:
- New Hope Farmers’ Market, New Hope [2:30-6:30 pm]
- Sushi Night in the Wine Cellar – The Inn at Lambertville Station, Lambertville, NJ [6 – 10 pm]
- Paul Dolan Vegetarian Biodynamic Wine Dinner @ Yardley Inn, Yardley [7 – 9 pm]