You know when you wake up chilly and the last thing you want to do is get out of bed? That’s me all throughout the fall season and into winter.
Fall is in the air, all you have to do is look around Bucks County. Scarecrow contests have returned, wine dinners are a-plenty, and restaurants are offering up their seasonal dishes all throughout the month of September and into October.
Speaking of October, you can also get a head start on Oktoberfest this week in Bucks, too! Keep reading for more fun and foodie events.
Wine tasting dinner. Tired of the same old when it comes to wine? Spend an evening with undiscovered wines, brand new to your palate, at The Washington House Restaurant and Hotel on Tuesday, September 12. It includes a special five course dinner with 10 wine samples for $59 per person. Note these dinners fill up quickly, so reserve your spot by calling 215.257.3000 to book a table.
Are you more of a beer drinker? Learn about and sip Oktoberfest brews from the friends at Great Barn Brewery this week at the Logan Inn. Pair the beers with tasty appetizers and don’t forget to cheers – Prost! The class is Tuesday, September 12 from 7 – 9 pm. Class is also $45.
Friend of a Farmer dinner. Caleb’s American Kitchen continues its Friend of a Farmer dinner through October this year, and this Thursday is the September dinner complete with a four-course prix fixe dinner made with local ingredients. Cost is $50 per person on Thursday. The dinner also continues on Friday, and it’s $54 on Friday, not including tax and gratuity. Reservations are required for the dinners.
Scarecrows are coming! Stroll through Peddler’s Village this fall, watch the leaves change colors, and sample some cheese at a Casa Casale tasting. Don’t forget to meet all the scarecrow friends…there’s a scarecrow display and competition beginning September 11 through October 29. You can visit all of the stores in the village and vote for your favorite.
The actual Scarecrow Festival is September 16 – 17. If you stop by Casa Casale, they will have their own scarecrow. Also, try one of their pumpkin spiced lattes and pumpkin spiced biscotti while you are there.
Sausage, Rigatoni and Fennel
From Casa Casale
1 pound rigatoni
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
½ fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced, plus fronds, for serving
2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (about ¾ cup)
1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
2 ½ ounces Parmesan, grated (about ¾ cup), plus more for serving
Arugula, for serving
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and sausage; cook, breaking into pieces, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat; reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, fennel, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth; bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta, pasta water, lemon zest and juice, cheese, and sausage. Simmer, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand to thicken, about 10 minutes. Drizzle with oil. Serve with fennel fronds, lemon wedges, cheese, and arugula.
On the radar…
- Apple Festival at the Lumberville General Store. Celebrate apples and community at another delicious Sunday afternoon event at the Lumberville General Store on September 24 from 3:30 – 7 pm. Menu includes: Grilled bratwurst with whole grain mustard and apple relish; Pulled pork with sauerkraut and apples; Roasted chicken with apple cider BBQ sauce; Quinoa and cheddar-stuffed apples; Roasted sweet potatoes with chili butter; Wild rice salad; Apple Brown Betty; Oatmeal apple cookies and flourless applesauce brownies. Cost for adults is $19.95, for children, $9.95.
- Dinner, Dessert & a Message from Beyond. Want to reach someone on the “other side?” Explore the unknown with Author and Spiritual Medium, Edward Tabbitas on Tuesday, September 26 at 7 pm. $80 includes: free parking, cocktail hour, three-course dinner with a glass of wine, followed by a group reading. For the full menu, click here. For reservations, call 215.862.2300.
- Fall Brewfest: Be sure to grab your tickets for the Fall Brewfest at Washington Crossing Historic Park (PA) on Saturday, October 28, from 12:30-4:30 pm. This event will let you sample the many flavors of fall, everything from ciders and pumpkin beers to sours and IPAs will be yours to sip. They will also have food trucks on-site offering treats to complement the beers on tap.
- Cocktails in the Castle. Nibble while you wander through the fascinating Mercer Museum on Friday, October 13. This annual event takes place in the Mercer Museum and features delicious food from local restaurants and caterers. It is so cool! For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
- FARMSHARE – Rolling Harvest farm-to-table event: Spend the night at the beautiful barn at Gravity Hill Farm in Titusville, NJ on October 14. This delicious gathering supports the work of the Rolling Harvest Food Rescue, which connects local farmers with neighbors in need. Food, wine, beer, a silent auction, and other activities are included. Tickets are $90 and sell out fast. See here for ticket details.
And, for more details on any of our food calendar events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County, or click the “continue reading” link below.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…
Bucks County Taste Dinner Club
Do you enjoy good food? Like meeting interesting people? Want to try new restaurants? Get on the Bucks County Taste Dinner Club email list and be the first to know of our coming events.
Here are some of the places we’ve dined since October 2014
The Golden Pheasant Inn (Erwinna, PA)
Dad’s Hat Rye Whiskey Distillery with Jamie Hollander Gourmet (Bristol, PA)
The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm (Buckingham, PA)
The Hattery Stove & Still (Doylestown, PA)
Bowman’s Tavern (New Hope, PA)
Maize Restaurant (Perkasie, PA)
Quinoa Peruvian & Mexican Restaurant (Doylestown, PA)
Caffe Galleria (Lambertville, NJ)
Hotel du Village (New Hope, PA)
Hamilton’s Grill Room (Lambertville, NJ)
Lumberville General Store (Lumberville, PA)
Liberty Hall Pizza (Lambertville, NJ)
Royal T’s at the Mansion Inn (New Hope, PA)
Comfortfood & Kitchenette (Morrisville, PA)
Bowman’s North (Riegelsville, PA)
Wycombe Vineyards (Buckingham, PA)
Fancy Fig Café (Wrightstown, PA)
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…