Oktoberfest, the annual celebration of Germany, is well underway, kicking off last week on September 16.
I love restaurants and bars during Oktoberfest. Bratwurst with sauerkraut, pretzel rolls, beer braised meats, schnitzel, dumplings — how can you resist? Then there are the beers, big pint glasses foaming to the brim, which go well with a hot pretzel with mustard.
Now that you’re hungry, keep reading for some Bucks County Oktoberfest happenings, along with some other local dinners and events. Enjoy!
Community dinners and lunches. There are plenty of free dinners and lunches offered this week in Bucks County and nearby. It’s a great chance to meet your fellow community members and have a simple yet comforting meal. Here’s what you can enjoy this week:
- Presbyterian Church of Deep Run, Perkasie: Free dinner at 5:30 pm on September 18.
- Centenary United Methodist Church, Lambertville: Community lunch every Wednesday from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- Christ Community Bible Church, Perkasie: Free community dinner at 5:30 pm on Wednesday, May 17.
Oktoberfest in your backyard. Newportville Inn‘s Oktoberfest celebration began this past Saturday, and if you missed it, there’s no need to worry. The celebration continues through October 21 every day at the inn from 3 – 11 pm.
It’s the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of Germany. The food is prepared from scratch, the beers are brewed according to German purity laws, and the Inn has an old world feel to it. The inn hopes to see you soon for “good food, good drinks and good friends.”
A trip to Italy. Take a trip across the country with a delicious dinner perfectly paired with wines straight from Italy, courtesy of the friends from Dalla Terra. The dinner is presented by the Logan Inn on September 19, starting at 7 pm. It’s $75 per guest. Perfect for a date night or an evening with friends!
Chef’s Beer Table. The Spinnerstown Hotel is hosting its next Chef’s Beer Table event on Wednesday, September 20. You can try a variety of beers paired nicely with dishes using fresh and seasonal ingredients. Your welcome beer is a hard cider, and you’ll get to end the night with a Belgian-style dark ale brewed with cherries. It’s $60 per person, so call 215.536.7242 to reserve your spot because space is limited.
Pierogies are back! Nothing beats a delicious, homemade pierogy. At St. Anne’s Ukrainian Church in Warrington, every Wednesday through December 13 you can pick up a dozen potato or cheese pierogies for $7. Ask about any specials, and you must call the kitchen workers directly to place your order. Call 215.343.9809 from 9 am – 12 pm to place your order, and then pick up your order between 12:30 – 3 pm.
On the radar…
- Apple Festival at the Lumberville General Store. Celebrate apples and community at another delicious Sunday afternoon event at the Lumberville General Store on September 24 from 3:30 – 7 pm. Menu includes: Grilled bratwurst with whole grain mustard and apple relish; Pulled pork with sauerkraut and apples; Roasted chicken with apple cider BBQ sauce; Quinoa and cheddar-stuffed apples; Roasted sweet potatoes with chili butter; Wild rice salad; Apple Brown Betty; Oatmeal apple cookies and flourless applesauce brownies. Cost for adults is $19.95, for children, $9.95.
- Dinner, Dessert & a Message from Beyond. Want to reach someone on the “other side?” Explore the unknown with Author and Spiritual Medium, Edward Tabbitas on Tuesday, September 26 at 7 pm. $80 includes: free parking, cocktail hour, three-course dinner with a glass of wine, followed by a group reading. For the full menu, click here. For reservations, call 215.862.2300.
- Fall Brewfest: Be sure to grab your tickets for the Fall Brewfest at Washington Crossing Historic Park (PA) on Saturday, October 28, from 12:30-4:30 pm. This event will let you sample the many flavors of fall, everything from ciders and pumpkin beers to sours and IPAs will be yours to sip. They will also have food trucks on-site offering treats to complement the beers on tap.
- Cocktails in the Castle. Nibble while you wander through the fascinating Mercer Museum on Friday, October 13. This annual event takes place in the Mercer Museum and features delicious food from local restaurants and caterers. It is so cool! For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
- FARMSHARE – Rolling Harvest farm-to-table event: Spend the night at the beautiful barn at Gravity Hill Farm in Titusville, NJ on October 14. This delicious gathering supports the work of the Rolling Harvest Food Rescue, which connects local farmers with neighbors in need. Food, wine, beer, a silent auction, and other activities are included. Tickets are $90 and sell out fast. See here for ticket details.
And, for more details on any of our food calendar events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County, or click the “continue reading” link below.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…
Chefs Alida Saxon and Paul Mitchell are planning one of their amazing menus for us on Saturday, October 21, 6 – 9 pm. You may know Alida and Paul from the Rosemont Supper Club and the Pass, where they created exquisite, seasonal and locally sourced cuisine.
Where you ask? None other than the former 1821 Steak and Cocktails restaurant in Upper Black Eddy. Think hip, cool and cozy. You got it. Details coming this week!
Here are some of the places we’ve dined since October 2014
The Golden Pheasant Inn (Erwinna, PA)
Dad’s Hat Rye Whiskey Distillery with Jamie Hollander Gourmet (Bristol, PA)
The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm (Buckingham, PA)
The Hattery Stove & Still (Doylestown, PA)
Bowman’s Tavern (New Hope, PA)
Maize Restaurant (Perkasie, PA)
Quinoa Peruvian & Mexican Restaurant (Doylestown, PA)
Caffe Galleria (Lambertville, NJ)
Hotel du Village (New Hope, PA)
Hamilton’s Grill Room (Lambertville, NJ)
Lumberville General Store (Lumberville, PA)
Liberty Hall Pizza (Lambertville, NJ)
Royal T’s at the Mansion Inn (New Hope, PA)
Comfortfood & Kitchenette (Morrisville, PA)
Bowman’s North (Riegelsville, PA)
Wycombe Vineyards (Buckingham, PA)
Fancy Fig Café (Wrightstown, PA)
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…