I decided several years ago that Bucks County folks needed to know where to go to get good meat—locally. Not from a supermarket, but from some of the great butchers and farms right here. So here is a post on where you can find locally raised, locally butchered good meat. Click on the links to go to their web sites for more information.
Included on this list are stores that come recommended, by us or by others. That said, this is not a “Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval” or anything. Some sell organic, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, pastured and local meats. Some don’t. I put everything out there. You make the choice. But these places do have a following. I’ve also noted, when I know for sure, if they sell fresh versus frozen. I haven’t mentioned supermarkets for obvious reasons although I will say that Wegmans (Warrington) can be a good source for organic and antibiotic-free, hormone-free meats, as well as Organnons.
From Lower to Upper Bucks and then some…
- Aaron’s Country Meats (Newtown Farmers Market). Beef, pork, sausage. Fresh.
- Gerome’s Sausage (Levittown). Homemade sausage (over 20 varieties), NO additives, preservatives or fillers. Fresh.
- Zook’s BBQ Barn (Newtown Farmers Market) Poultry raised “all natural.” Fresh.
- Ely’s Pork Products (Newtown). Beef, pork, poultry, lamb and veal all raised on their farm. Also make sausage and excellent artisanal cheese. Fresh.
- Birchwood Farms (Upper Makefield/Newtown). Raw organic dairy store selling own grass-only-fed beef, pork, veal, pastured eggs, bison, and lamb. Frozen.
- Tanner Bros. (Ivyland). Own Angus beef, raised on the farm. Frozen.
- Old World Sausage Factory (Hatboro). Over 30 varieties of artisan sausage, ham, bacon and smoked sausages. Sausage has no BHA, BHT, fillers, binders, preservatives or MSG.
- None Such Farm Market (Buckingham). Their beef is raised on their farm across the street, pastured mostly but also fed grain grown on the farm. No hormones or antibiotics. Good chicken and pork too. Full service butcher shop. Mostly fresh, some frozen.
- Maximuck’s (Doylestown). Own beef, raised on the farm. Frozen. No hormones.
- Haring Brothers (Danboro). One of our favorites. Full service butcher shop. Fresh and frozen. “Whenever possible, we buy our fresh meat and vegetables from local farmers, including agricultural students at Delaware Valley College.”
- Bolton’s Farm Market (Silverdale). Own turkey, chicken, beef, all grown “naturally and additive free.” Fresh.
- Blooming Glen Pork & Catering (Blooming Glen). Pork products processed on site, including smoked meats. Full service butcher shop. Big Bob’s BBQ stand on Saturdays during spring, summer and fall. Fresh.
- Baringer Bros. Meats (Richlandtown). Full service butcher shop. “Home raised, grain fed” meat. Fresh and home smoked meats.
- Frigid Freeze Country Butcher & Deli (Riegelsville) Butcher shop. Beef, pork, sausage, seafood. Own raised sides of beef and pork.
- Saylor’s and Company (Hellertown). Butcher and italian market with fresh meats and smoked products.
These are farmers raising livestock in Bucks County for sale. You can buy directly from them at local farmers’ markets, online or by phone order. Where a website is not available, I link to the Penn State Cooperative Extension list of Bucks County farms and markets.
- Backyard Bison (Coopersburg). American Plains buffalo raised “on pasture as much as possible” without use of hormones, steroids, or antibiotics, USDA inspected. Sold from own farm store.
- Beech Tree Farm (New Hope). Beef and Pork (halves wrapped to order). Ground beef by the pound, fresh eggs. PH: 215.345.4056 or 215.794.5054
- Durham Glen Farm (Pipersville). Pastured lamb, duck.raised in humane conditions, free range brown eggs and fresh produce. Sustainable farming practices.
- Hershberger Heritage Farm (Sellersville). Bucks County’s only source for Certified Organic meat. Chicken, turkey, eggs, lamb, pork and beef. All livestock is pastured raised on Certified Organic pastures. Phone: 215.500.7301, or email: HershbergerHeritageFarm@gmail.com. Also on Facebook at: Hershberger Heritage Farm. Read our post about Hershberger’s here.
- Hillside Farms (Telford). American bison. Sold from own farm store.
- Homestead Hog Farm (Sellersville). Custom ordered beef, pork, and whole chickens.
- Kerales Farm (Quakertown). Pasture-raised lamb, free range chicken eggs.
- Meadow Brook Farms (Springtown). Free-range, vegetarian-fed and grass-finished Black Angus beef. Raised without antibiotics or added hormones. Available frozen at their farm store, Tabora Farm Market and Rick’s Eggs.
- Milk House Farm Market (Newtown) Chicken and duck, pasture-raised and fed organic feed.
- Naturally @ Holben Valley Farm (New Tripoli) Although this producer of grass-fed and pasture-raised Black Angus beef is not in Bucks, they come to the Wrightstown and Doylestown Farmers’ Markets each week. No antibiotics or growth hormones. Frozen.
- Necessity Farms & Dairy (Telford). Pastured beef, grass fed lamb, and pastured pork; raw milk from grass fed cows; free range chicken; free range soy free, corn free, non-gmo eggs; fresh sausages; smoked meats such as turkey breast, chicken, and a variety of smoked sausages.
- Purely Farm’s Pastured Meats (Bedminster). Pastured turkey, pork and lamb (in season). Reach Marc and Joanna at 215.317.0889 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at the Wrightstown Farmers’ Markets or Easton Farmers’ Market.
- Shady Fox Farm (Doylestown) Free range chicken and turkey, grass-fed beef, pork. All free of antibiotics, steroids, or hormones.
- Sunnyslope Farm (New Hope). Grass-fed beef. Phone: 215.598.7838, or email: email@example.com.
- Tohickon Meadows Farm (Ottsville). Freezer beef, feeder cattle, lambs, Call for more info: 215.795.2385
- Tussock Sedge Farm (Blooming Glen). Pastured, (completely) grass-fed beef, no antibiotics or hormones. Order online.
- Windy Spring Farm (Quakertown). Beef by the half for freezer. Phone: 215.536.8624
This post was updated on 2/21/17