It’s no surprise that the fitness clubs become so popular in January. December is probably the most calorie-laden month of the year. Holiday parties, big dinners and don’t forget the constant flow of goodies that show up in the break room at work. It’s okay, because this time of year the food is always too good to pass up. Treat yourself this weekend and get into the holiday spirit with some of these events.
1. Cookie Bake Off & Book Signing with Ellen Stimson
Fri, Dec. 11, 6:30 – 8:00 pm, Doylestown Bookshop, 16 South Main Street, Doylestown, PA
Do you have a secret cookie recipe that you keep in your holiday arsenal? The classic chocolate chip? Sugar cookies? Oatmeal raisin? Then bring a plate to The Doylestown Bookshop for a chance to win a holiday cookie contest. Chef Ellen Stimson will choose the best cookie, and the winner will take home a copy of her new cookbook, An Old Fashioned Christmas. Stimson will also be signing copies of the book, and refreshments will be provided. Everyone is invited, including the bakers.
Here’s a little taste of Stimson’s book: Celebrate the beauty and charm of the holidays with recipes for traditional food and drink, decorating ideas, and heartwarming stories With its trademark snow, piney forests, sleigh rides and wood smoke curling out of village chimneys, New England was practically invented for the Christmas postcard. It’s got your Christmas goose and the maple syrup with which to glaze it. It’s most of the reason author Ellen Stimson made Vermont her home. Here she shares recipes that have been in her family for generations, mixes up a cocktail or two, and invites readers to make their own traditions.
2. Breakfast with Santa!
Sat, Dec. 12, 9 am – 11 am, Newtown Athletic Club, 120 Pheasant Run, Newtown, PA
Sun, Dec. 13, 7:30 am – 12 pm, Upper Black Eddy Fire Co, 1716 Firehouse Lane, Upper Black Eddy, PA
Need we say more? What’s better than a delicious firehouse breakfast? One where Santa shows up! We’ve got two happening this weekend and more next weekend.
3. Wrightstown Winter Farmers Market
Sat, Dec. 12, 10 am – 11 am, Wrightstown Farmers Market, 2203 2nd Street Pike, Wrightstown, PA
What will you find at the market this weekend? Everything you need for holiday cooking and some great gifts too.
- Wood-fired brick oven sourdough breads, Bavarian style soft pretzels, farm themed muffins, pastries, cookies, and granola, pasture-raised eggs and chickens from Apple Ridge Farm
- Local raw and pasteurized honey, honeycomb and beeswax candles from Bee Well Honey and local, raw creamed honey, plain local raw honey, both filtered and unfiltered, coconut oil, snacks, skin care, handmade soap from Truly Pure & Natural
- Fresh roasted, certified organic and fair trade, shade grown gourmet coffees, and tea from the Coffee Scoop
- Farm fresh mozzarella, yogurt, and ricotta from Fulper Farm
- Farmstead fresh goat cheese made with milk produced by pasture-raised goats from Giggling Goat Dairy
- Naturally Holben Valley Farm offers 100% grass-fed beef and pasture-raised chicken, turkey and eggs
- Purely Farm Meats raises naturally pastured chicken, turkey, eggs and pork products.
- Native plants, carrots, golden beets, organic oyster mushrooms, mesclun mix, and spinach from Rolling Hills Farm
- Roots to River Farm will be bringing kale, collards, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, celery, celery root, fennel, hakurei turnips, garden radishes, watermelon radishes, salad greens, spinach, onions, leeks, rutabaga, kohlrabi, tat soi, parsley, and cilantro.
- Milkhouse Farm Market will bring seasonal vegetables, herbs, eggs, pasture-raised chicken and duck and harvest decorations.
And there’s more! I’m just running out of room. Click here for all the vendors and how to reach them to pre-order: Wrightstown Winter Farmers Market
4. Holiday Winemaker’s Dinner
Sat, Dec. 12, 7 pm, Crossing Vineyards & Winery, 1853 Wrightstown Rd., Newtown, PA
Join in the festivities at Crossing Vineyards & Winery for a holiday five-course gourmet meal, paired with Crossing Vineyards’ award winning wines and plenty of holiday spirit. Apparently, a “jolly old guest” will be making an appearance, bringing along some surprises. Reserve your seat in advance or give this as a gift! Cost is $89 per person and reservations are necessary. Some of the dishes include: bacon wrapped scallops, butternut squash ravioli with sage brown butter, paired with Legacy and Riesling, and there will even be a cheese course, and a dessert of creme brulee to follow. Reserve your spot here.
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Have a great weekend!
Want to know what’s happening in Hunterdon County? See our Food Events in Hunterdon County calendar.
If you liked this post, check out these:
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (7)
- Charity (54)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (613)
- Farm Markets (301)
- Farms (258)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (145)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (171)
- People (35)
- Recipes (106)
- Restaurants (473)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (81)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (254)