As I write this, I’m nursing a torn ACL (ligament) that I blew out last Saturday playing frisbee. But it was all worth it. I taught a nine-year-old little girl how to correctly throw a frisbee – and she was really getting it down.
Hopefully the temps will come down a bit this weekend, and who would’ve thunk it, but we are all praying for rain, which we may get tomorrow.
But no reason not to get out and get the first corn of the season, as well as peaches (!). That’s the only thing that’s really bumming me out about the knee; there is so much food I want to go out and get. Save some blueberries for me, please.
Today and tomorrow is the last day to vote online for Bucks County’s own Chef Theo Petron of A La Maison Personal Chef Service. Chef Theo has been selected to compete with 24 other chefs from across the country in the first-ever Sears Chef Challenge, www.SearsChefChallenge.com, happening over the next several months. Chef Theo has picked the Bucks County Foodshed Alliance as his charity of choice should he win. Please go online and vote for Theo.
Although there are the usual food events going on this weekend, things seem to be slowing down a bit. Call it the July 4th week holiday, or people starting to go away, or whatever. If you don’t go away on the weekends, as a lot of folks around here seem to, please make sure to stop by your local farm markets. They really need your support in these summer doldrums, not to mention the veggies and fruit are gorgeous.
One event that got postponed due to the heat this week should not be missed this coming up week. The monthly farm tour hosted by the Bucks County Foodshed Alliance was rescheduled to this Wednesday, July 14th, at Sunnyslope Farm in New Hope. It starts with a potluck at 6:30 pm, and then is followed by a tour of this farm, which raises grass-fed hormone-free Angus beef and certified organic free-range chickens and turkeys. See our previous post for more info.
What can you expect to find produce-wise this week at local farm markets? Arugula, Asian turnips, beets, blueberries, cabbage, cauliflower, sweet corn, cucumbers, eggplant, kale and other greens, kohlrabi, radishes, raspberries, scallions, spring mix and head lettuces, starter herbs, summer squash, sweet peppers, tomatoes, vegetable Plants, zucchini, and maybe…peaches!
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Have a cool, wet weekend.
Friday, July 9th:
Forecast – Sunny, 88°
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [11 am – 7 pm]
- Warrington Farmers’ Market @ Valley Square, Warrington [3 – 6 pm]
- Ottsville Farmers’ Market @ Linden Hill Gardens, Ottsville [3 – 7 pm]
- Friday Happy Hour @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington, NJ [5 – 8 pm]
- Spaghetti Dinner @ Delaware Valley Fire Co., Erwinna [5:30 – 7:30 pm]
- Friday Night un(Wine)d Concerts, Doylestown [6 – 9 pm]
- Summer Wine Concert Series @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6 – 9 pm]
- Summer Music Series @ Crossing Vineyards and Winery, Washington Crossing [7 – 10 pm]
- Barbara Trent @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [7 – 11 pm]
- Kindle Cafe Supper Club @ Rojo’s Roastery, Lambertville, NJ [7:30 – 9:30 pm]
- Bob Egan @ Bowman’s Tavern, New Hope [8 pm-12 am]
Saturday, July 10th:
Forecast – Thunderstorms, 80°
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market, Doylestown [7 am – 12 pm]
- Perkasie Farmers’ Market, Perkasie [8 am – 12 pm]
- Indian Valley Farmers’ Market, Telford [8:30 am – 12:30 pm]
- Plumsteadville Grange Farm Market, Plumsteadville [9 am – 12 pm]
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, Wrightstown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am – 3 pm]
- Beekeeping @ Pennypack Farm & Education Center, Horsham [10 am – 12 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [12 – 5 pm]
- Second Saturdays in New Hope, New Hope [3 – 9 pm]
- Meat Loaf Dinner @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [4 – 7:30 pm]
- Wine Tasting Reception for Margarita Leon, New Hope [6 – 9 pm]
Sunday, July 11th:
Forecast – Sunny, 89°
- Breakfast Buffet @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [7 am – 12 pm]
- Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market, Hellertown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, Flemington, NJ [9 am – 1 pm]
- Yoga & Brunch: A Benefit for the Colombia Fire House, Lambertville, NJ [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am – 3 pm]
- Sangria Sundays @ Chaddsford Winery, Lahaska [10 am – 6 pm]
Monday, July 12th:
Forecast – Mostly sunny, 91°
- 94 Cents Cookie Night @ Chubby’s Dairy Barn, Plumsteadville [6 – 9 pm]
- Seasonal Salads and Sandwiches, Doylestown [7 – 9 pm]
Tuesday, July 13th:
- Langhorne Farmers’ Market, Langhorne [3:30 – 6:30 pm]
- Farm to Table Dinner @ the Milford Oyster House, Milford, NJ [6:30 – 9:30 pm]
Wednesday, July 14th:
- American Legion Meals on Wednesdays, Quakertown [11:30 am – 9 pm]
- The Farmers’ Market @ Playwicki Farm, Feasterville [4 – 7 pm]
- Complimentary Beer Tasting @ the Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5 – 9 pm]
- Summer Farm Tours: Sunnyslope Farm -RESCHEDULED, New Hope [6:30 – 9 pm]
- Taste of Philly fundraiser for Susan G Komen, Doylestown [7 – 9 pm]
Thursday, July 15th:
- Capital City Market, Trenton, NJ [11 am – 2 pm]
- Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, Flemington, NJ [3 – 7 pm]
- Lower Makefield Farmers’ Market, Yardley [3:30 – 6:30 pm]
- New Hope Farmers’ Market, New Hope [3:30 – 7 pm]
- Springtown Farmers’ Market, Springtown [4 – 7 pm]
- 94 Cent Ice Cream Cone Night @ Uncle Dave’s Ice Cream, Yardley [5 – 9 pm]
- Lobster Night @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [6 – 10 pm]