April showers bring May flowers? Then what does April snow bring? Jeez. Let’s hope for the best!
Lots of interesting things happening this week, food-wise. Here are some tidbits I’ve been collecting for your munching.
A new Community-Supported-Agriculture (CSA) farm begins its first season. Welcome to Sandbrook Meadow Farm located on 50 acres in the beautiful rolling farmland of Sergeantsville, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Farmers Alex and Mary-Laura Sawatzky are partnering with landowners Brent and Deirdre Alderfer to deliver naturally grown fresh vegetables weekly throughout the growing season. Just a reminder, here’s how CSAs work: you buy a share (pick up weekly) or half-share (pick up every other week) and receive delicious vegetables from late May through early November. According to Sandbrook Meadow’s website, full share members can expect an average of $30 worth of freshly harvested, naturally grown produce weekly. A half share’s bounty will average $17. Shares will include a minimum of 10 different crops. U- pick items will be open to both full and half shares. Full shares cost $720, half shares $400. You can find out more on their website, or by calling 908.782.0074. And, as they say so well, “Join us in shortening the food chain from our farm to your table.”
Homestead Farm Market in Lambertville reopens for the season today, April 1st. Welcome back! The market is on the north end of town, on Route 29/Main Street.
Interested in using herbs? Therapeutic Herbalist, Susan Hess, will be packing up her informative herbal foundation course normally held at her beautiful farm — Farm at Coventry — and bringing it to Blooming Glen Farm this spring. In a first-time, condensed ‘unplugged’ six month version of Susan’s popular nine month course, students will explore basic herb knowledge suitable for a broad range of culinary, craft and health uses utilizing wild and cultivated plants. See Blooming Glen’s website for more information.
On a sad note, the Churchville Inn in Southampton experienced a very serious fire early Sunday morning. Fortunately no one was hurt but the damage is extensive. The landmark restaurant, at the corner of Bristol Road and Bustleton Pike, will be sorely missed by locals. Click here for more info and photos from the Bucks County Courier Times.
Be sure to pick up the Bucks County Herald this week for a couple of good stories. First, check out Lee Friedman’s piece on the Bucks County Foodshed Alliance’s Farmer Forum, held in early March. Be sure to read also Diana Cercone’s article on where to find locally-made, artisanal cheese – here in Bucks County and nearby New Jersey.
The first Farm-to-Table Dinner is approaching! Saturday, April 16th yours truly will be the featured guest and guide at a Spring Farm-to-Table Dinner at Crossing Vineyards in Washington Crossing. Emily’s Café & Catering will be preparing a delicious meal, filled with locally sourced food (yes, even in April!). The five-course gourmet meal will of course be paired with Crossing Vineyards’ internationally-acclaimed wines. The menu is being finalized as I write. I’ll let you know as soon as I do! For more details and to sign-up, go to their website.
Don’t know what to do for Easter? Everyone in the family arguing over who will make the meal? Why not go out? See our post on where to eat out for Easter in Bucks and nearby.
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Have a April-icious weekend.
Friday, April 1:
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [1 – 7 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [4 – 6 pm]
- Fish Fry @ Riegelsville Fire Company, Riegelsville [5 – 7 pm]
- Lenten Fish Fry @ Columbia Fire Co., Lambertville, NJ [5 – 7:30 pm]
- Friday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington, NJ [5 – 8 pm]
- Barrel Tappings @ Triumph Brewing Co., New Hope [6 – 7 pm]
- First Friday in Perkasie, Perkasie [6 – 9 pm]
- First Fridays in Doylestown, Doylestown [6 – 9:30 pm]
- Barbara Trent @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [7 – 11 pm]
- Kindle Cafe Supper Club at Rojo’s Roastery, Lambertville, NJ [7:30 – 9:30 pm]
- Peter Yarrow @ New Hope Winery, New Hope [8 – 10:15 pm]
Saturday, April 2:
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am – 4 pm]
- Wine 101: From Vine to Glass – Alba Vineyard, Milford, NJ [10:30 – 12:30 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [12 – 6 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ New Hope Beverage, New Hope [3 – 7 pm]
- Pork and Sauerkraut Dinner @ Riegelsville Fire Company, Riegelsville [4 – 7 pm]
- Steak Dinner @ Salem United Church of Christ, Doylestown [4:30 – 7 pm]
- Saturday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington [5 – 8 pm]
- Dinner @ Cafe Blue Moose, Buckingham (address provided with reservation) [7 – 9 pm]
Sunday, April 3:
- Homestead Herbalism-Unplugged (class)@ Blooming Glen Farm, Perkasie [10 am – 3 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am – 4 pm]
- Arts for the Manor 9th Annual Benefit Brunch & Art Show, Warrington [11 am – 2 pm]
- How Sweet It Is: Pairing Wine and Chocolate, Washington Crossing [2 – 4 pm]
Monday, April 4:
- Complimentary Wine Tasting @ Yardley Inn, Yardley [5 – 8 pm]
- Wine 101 – Class #5 – Red Wine, Washington Crossing [6:30 – 8:30 pm]
- Soupcon Salon by Kindle Cafe @ Manon, Lambertville, NJ [7 – 9:15 pm]
Tuesday, April 5:
- Gluten Free / Healthy Living Support Group, Langhorne [7 – 9 pm]
Wednesday, April 6:
- Pierogy Wednesdays @ St. Anne Ukrainian, Warrington [9 am – 12 pm]
- American Legion Meals on Wednesdays, Quakertown [11:30 am – 9 pm]
- Complimentary Beer Tasting @ the Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5 – 9 pm]
- Meet the Brewer @ The Spinnerstown Hotel, Spinnerstown [7 – 10 pm]
Thursday, April 6:
- 2nd Annual Veterans Memorial Fundraiser: Get Flyered Up!, Yardley [5:30 – 9:30 pm]
- Sushi Night in the Wine Cellar – The Inn at Lambertville Station, Lambertville, NJ [6 – 10 pm]
- Pairing Wine & Cheese @ Crossing Vineyards, Washington Crossing [7 – 8:30 pm]
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (662)
- Farm Markets (315)
- Farms (261)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (152)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (173)
- People (35)
- Recipes (109)
- Restaurants (518)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (276)