Welcome to the 2015 Farmers’ Market season! Farmers’ markets in Bucks County are starting to pop up, with several opening in the next few weekends and the remainder opening during May and early June. There are now ten farmers’ markets in Bucks County!
Most farmers’ markets in Bucks County are now selling a wide array of goods, all grown or produced in Bucks or nearby. Products like delicious baked goods (including cookies, breads, pies and more); Grass-fed beef, pasture-raised pork, poultry, and lamb; eggs, cheeses and yogurt from pastured animals; local unprocessed raw honey, maple syrup and beeswax candles; flowers and plants; jams, jellies, condiments and sauces; organic, fair trade, locally roasted coffees; prepared foods, hand-made soaps and lotions, artisan and handcrafted goods, and, of course, locally grown produce.
Let’s not forget the great year-round farmers’ markets in Bucks. None Such Farm Market in Buckingham provides meats, cheeses, baked goods, grocery items, plants, and fresh produce from their farm across the street. Blue Moon Acres, also in Buckingham, sells their microgreens, grown in Buckingham, and vegetables from their Pennington farm on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10 am to 4 pm. Maximuck’s Farm Market in Doylestown Township sells their own hydroponic greens and tomatoes all year long, as well as produce in season, eggs, milk, their own beef, and other goodies (and plants during season).
The Doylestown Food Co-op, right in the heart of the borough, provides local produce and prepared good year round and is open daily. Sandy Ridge Farm Market, right on the outskirts of the Doylestown Borough, provides local produce, meats, cheeses, dairy, wine, baked goods, and more. Just north of Doylestown, in Chalfont/Hilltown, you’ll find Tabora Farm and Orchard, with amazing baked goods, produce, deli and an assortment of gourmet items (apples in season, and plants in the spring).
Milk House Farm Market in Upper Makefield provides local produce, chicken, eggs, honey, and other good throughout the week. Right around the corner from Milk House is Thorpe Farm, with their own organic seasonal fruit and vegetables, their own pastured meat and garden supplies. Shady Brook Farm in Yardley, and at The Market at Delaware Valley College, also offer a wide variety of foods, in addition to fruit and produce from their farm and from the college. The indoor Newtown Farmers’ Market has been a mainstay in Newtown for years, with a diverse group of vendors from Amish, to Middle Eastern, to Asian and Mexican. In Ivyland, Tanners Bros. Dairy Market offers their own meat and dairy products (and ice cream!), and nicely priced produce (sometimes local).
Carroll’s Seafood & Produce in Plumsteadville carries produce, local milk, and a good selection of fish. Likewise, Bolton’s in Silverdale. In addition to local produce, you can get their fresh, hormone-free, antibiotic-free poultry year-round, raised on their farm adjacent to the store. And as you wind your way up Route 611, stop in at Trauger’s in Kintersville. They carry a huge variety of fruit and vegetables from their 9th generation-owned farm. There is also the indoor Stockton Market, open year-round on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in Stockton, NJ. [See our post on the Stockton Market here.]
To find more local farm stands and markets, check out the Fresh From Bucks County Farms Guide on the website of the Penn State Cooperative Extension, Bucks County. If you want to know where you can do “pick-your-own” produce, or who sells locally raised beef, it’s a great resource. According to the guide, the 2007 Census of Agricultural ranked Bucks County 20th in the nation in the category of Direct Sales by Farmers to Consumers for Human Consumption. Aren’t we lucky?
Here’s a listing of seasonal farm markets in Bucks (and nearby), arranged geographically (going south to north). Most of the markets take place rain or shine. Some have email lists, a great reminder as well as source of what will be selling in the market that week. Click on the name of the market to go to their website and get even more information.
In Bucks County…
- Washington Crossing Farm Market: Saturdays 9 am – 1 pm, River Road & Route 532, Washington Crossing. Beginning May 9 until October
- Yardley Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 8 am to 12 pm, Buttonwood Park, Yardley. Starting May 2 until October 24.
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 9 am – 1 pm, at 2203 2nd Street Pike (next to the Wrightstown Township Municipal Building), Wrightstown. Starting May 2 until November 21.
- The Farmers’ Market @ Playwicki Farm: Wednesdays 3 – 6 pm, 2350 Bridgetown Pike in Feasterville, Starting June 3 until the end of October.
- Langhorne Farmers’ Market: Tuesdays 3 – 6:30 pm, at the Jesse Soby American Legion Post, 115 W. Richardson Ave. in Langhorne. Starting June 2 until end of October.
- Lower Makefield Farmers’ Market: Thursdays 3:30 – 6:30 pm, at Edgewood & Heacock Roads in Yardley. Starting May 28 until October 1.
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 7 am – noon, on Hamilton Ave. near West State St. in Doylestown. Starting April 18 until November 21.
- Plumsteadville Grange Farm Market: Saturdays 9 am – noon, at the Plumsteadville Grange near the intersection of Route 611 and Keller’s Church Rd. in Plumsteadville. Starting May 30 until October 31.
- Ottsville Farmers’ Market: Fridays 4 – 7 pm, 8230 Easton Rd. (Rt. 611, between Rt. 113 and 412) in Ottsville. Beginning April 24 until October 9.
- Perkasie Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 9 am – 1 pm, 7th and Market Streets in Perkasie. Beginning June 20 until October 17.
In nearby counties…
- Ambler Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 9 am to 1 pm , SEPTA Parking Lot at Lindenwold Ave. near Butler Ave. in Ambler. Starting May 2 until October 31.
- Hatboro Farmers’ Market: Fridays 6 pm till dusk, 32 N. York Road, Hatboro PA. Starting May 1 through end of October.
- Indian Valley Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 8:30 am – 12:30 pm, at Penn Ave. and Main St. in Telford. Beginning June 21 until October 18.
- Lansdale Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 9 am – 1 pm, Railroad Avenue at Main Street in Lansdale. Beginning May 16 until October 31.
- Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market: Sundays 9 am – 1 pm, at Water Street Park on Water Street in Hellertown. Starting May 3 until November 22.
- Easton Farmers’ Market: Saturdays 9 am – 1 pm (full season, May through November) and Wednesdays 4 pm – 8 pm (June through September only) at Centre Square in downtown Easton. Season begins May 2.
Across da river in Jersey…
- Trenton Farmers’ Market: Tuesday – Saturday, 9 am – 6 pm, Sunday, 10 am – 4 pm, at 960 Spruce St. in Lawrence Township, NJ. Year round.
- Gravity Hill Farm Market: Tuesdays 1 – 6 pm, Sundays 10:30 am – 2:30 pm, in Titusville, NJ (see website for more details). Sunday markets start May 10, Tuesday markets start June 2.
- Lawrenceville Farmers’ Market: Saturdays, 8 am – noon, 20 South Clayton St. in Lawrenceville, NJ. Opening June 7 through September 6.
- Pennington Farmers’ Market: Saturday mornings, 101 Rt. 31 North at Rosedale Mills in Pennington, NJ. Beginning May 23 through October 31.
- Blue Moon Acres – Pennington Farm: Wednesday – Friday from 9 am – 6 pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 9 am – 5 pm.
- Sergeantsville Farmers Market: Saturdays 8:30 – noon, Routes 604 and 12. Starting in May and running through end of October.
- Stockton Market: Fridays 3 – 7 pm, Saturdays 9 am – 4 pm, Sundays 10 am – 4 pm, on Bridge St. in Stockton, NJ. Year-round and indoor.
- Hunterdon Land Trust Alliance Farmers’ Market at Dvoor Farm: Sundays 9 am – 1 pm, at Dvoor Farm, at 111 Mine Street, in Flemington, NJ on the Route 12 (Dvoor) Circle. Beginning May 17 until November 22.
- Frenchtown Farmers’ Market: Sundays 10 am – 2 pm, in the parking lot of Kathee’s General Store at 4 Kingwood Avenue in Frenchtown, NJ. Beginning early June and running through October.
For more information on New Jersey markets in nearby Mercer County, see the State of New Jersey’s site, Jersey Fresh.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (662)
- Farm Markets (315)
- Farms (261)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (152)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (173)
- People (35)
- Recipes (109)
- Restaurants (518)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (276)