Eating outside, enjoying a beautiful summer evening with new friends, and then walking around a small, family farm, learning how they produce their bounty. Sounds good, no?
Check it out. The Bucks County Foodshed Alliance, in lieu of their regular monthly meetings, “meets” at local farms once a month during the summer, hosting a potluck full of great food. We went to our first one last summer at Manoff Market Gardens in Solebury. It was fascinating…and delicious. Everyone brought seasonal, yummy dishes, and we chatted until the sun started to set. Then Amy and Gary Manoff walked us around their farm and we learned how they produce their wonderful fruit – berries, peaches, apples, to name a few – as well as some of the hardships.
This summer’s potluck farm tours start tonight, Wednesday, June 2nd. Even if you can’t make it for the potluck, come later for the tour. The potluck begins at 6:30 pm. Bring your own place settings, beverage and dish to share (8-10 servings). Folding chairs or blankets may come in handy as well, depending on the turnout. The farm tour begins at 7:30 pm.
Here’s the line-up for the summer.
- Wednesday, June 2nd: Gravity Hill Farm, an organic farm in Titusville, NJ (just over the bridge)
- POSTPONED TO JULY 14TH Wednesday, July 7th: Sunnyslope Farm, who raise all natural, hormone- and antibiotic-free beef and chicken products, on Lurgan Road in New Hope, PA
- Wednesday, August 4th: Milk House Farm Market, a family farm selling produce and cage-free eggs, on Woodhill Road in Newtown, PA
- Wednesday, September 1st: WoodsEdge Wools Farm in Stockton, NJ, a farm that breeds llamas and alpacas.
Mark your calendars for these fun, fascinating, feel-good farm visits!
UPDATED July 6, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (653)
- Farm Markets (311)
- Farms (260)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (149)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (174)
- People (35)
- Recipes (108)
- Restaurants (514)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (275)