Right here in Bucks County, 1 in 10 residents and 15% of all children (64,000 people, in total) are considered “food insecure,” meaning that they don’t have reliable access to a sufficient quality of affordable, nutritious food.
Among our friends and neighbors, there are children going to bed hungry, families torn between getting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads, and older adults skipping meals so that they can afford medication.
You can help change that by volunteering or donating to Bucks Knocks Out Hunger, a one-day food packing event and a fundraiser for Bucks County’s food pantries.
Over 100,000 nutritious, shelf-stable meals are packed by volunteers at just 25 cents each. Donations will also help provide tens of thousands of pounds of locally grown produce, lean proteins, and other items that can be hard for pantries to obtain.
This is the impact of our collective donations:
- $25,000 allows Bucks County volunteers to pack and distribute 100,000 meals. Meal supplies are purchased through Outreach, Inc. for just 25 cents per meal.
- $37,000 provides meals AND allows United Way of Bucks County to work with Delaware Valley College’s Hope of the Harvest Charitable Garden and greenhouses to provide more than 30,000 lbs of produce.
- $45,000 provides all of the above and helps Rolling Harvest Food Rescue work with small, sustainable farms in Bucks County to provide additional produce.
- $55,000 provides all of the above PLUS lean proteins and other perishable items that do not typically come in through food drives. This money helps pantries fill the gaps when they are critically low. Funds are distributed through the network of pantries by Bucks County Opportunity Council.
This is a wonderful opportunity to contribute positively to your community by helping to ensure that everyone has access to healthy and affordable meals.
You can make a donation to Bucks Knocks Out Hunger by clicking here, or sign up to volunteer at the packing event on June 20th by clicking here. If you’d like to find other ways to help, contact Tim Philpot at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-949-1660, ext. 104.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (661)
- Farm Markets (315)
- Farms (261)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (152)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (173)
- People (35)
- Recipes (109)
- Restaurants (517)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (276)