Hopefully your weekend wasn’t completely washed out by the gloom and rain. The good news is, this week looks like it’s going to be hot, hot, hot! We might even need to bust out our ice cream post (that’s how hot it’s going to be!). In the meantime, check out what’s happening in Bucks County, you have plenty of options for embracing the heat — or escaping it.
Want to chill by the water? Here’s 14 Great Waterside Restaurants (including 8 that Zagat missed) to beat the heat along our beautiful Delaware River.
Guest Pizzaiolo at Liberty Hall Pizza. Scott Wiener, pizza historian and author, is taking over Liberty Hall Pizza’s brick oven on Tuesday, May 16 as part of their guest pizzaiolo series. The Brooklyn resident will create a spicy Italian sausage pizza topped with pickled red onions, buffalo mozzarella and basil chiffonade. He’s also debuting a “Mo-Heato” pizza, which is a white pie with smoked mozzarella, mint pesto, soppressata, lemon juice and hot honey. The vegetarian friendly pizza is available too.
Community dinners and lunches. There are plenty of free dinners and lunches offered this week in Bucks County and nearby. It’s a great chance to meet your fellow community members and have a simple yet comforting meal. Here’s what you can enjoy this week:
- Presbyterian Church of Deep Run, Perkasie: Free dinner at 5:30 pm on Monday, May 15.
- Centenary United Methodist Church, Lambertville: Community lunch every Wednesday from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- Christ Community Bible Church, Perkasie: Free community dinner at 5:30 pm on Wednesday, May 17.
Weeknights at Brian’s. Craving a meal other than leftovers or crock pot dump meals? Treat yourself to Brian’s in Lambertville this week. Brian’s offers a three-course prix fixe meal on weekdays for $45 (Tuesday – Thursday). It includes a salad, entrée and dessert, with additional costs for prime meats and seafood like lobster. If you don’t want dessert, chef Brian Held says they are flexible, so try one of their cappuccinos instead.
Brian’s serves up French-inspired, Mediterranean cuisine. Check out the interview we had with chef Brian last year.
Can’t make it to Brian’s? Here are a few other local prix fixe meals to satisfy anyone’s palate:
- Caleb’s American Kitchen: Caleb’s offers a $22 per person three-course prix fixe dinner to the locals, each Monday at 5 pm. Call them at 215.794.8588 for more information.
- Lambertville House: The Lambertville House in Lambertville, NJ offers a four-course prix fixe meal for about $23 on Mondays starting at 5 pm.
- Quinoa Peruvian & Mexican Restaurant: Quinoa in Doylestown offers guests a three-course prix fixe dinner for $21 on Tuesday evenings.
- DeAnna’s Restaurant: Deanna offers a special prix fixe three-course meal for locals, every Tuesday and Wednesday night. Cost is $25. Call 609.397.8957 for more information.
- El Tule: El Tule in Lambertville, NJ offers a three-course prix fixe meal for $21 on Wednesdays.
Farm Fresh Film Series. This eye-opening and informational film series continues this Thursday, May 18 at the County Theater with Sugar Coated, a new award-winning documentary film examining the politics behind the food sugar industry.
“Is sugar the new tobacco?” the film asks. It all starts with a secret PR campaign dating back to the 1970s. For forty years, Big Sugar deflected all threats to its multi-billion dollar empire, while sweetening the world’s food supply. As obesity, diabetes, and heart disease rates skyrocket, doctors are now treating the first generation of children suffering from fatty liver disease. The sugar industry is once again under siege.
Today, the sugar industry is deploying its old tactics and claiming “we just eat too much.” This time consumers aren’t buying it. The critics have gotten smarter, bolder, and madder and science is catching up.
Tickets are $8 for Doylestown Food Market Members/Owners and $10.50 for the general public, including County Theater Members. Tickets can be purchased online here or at the box office, 20 E State Street, Doylestown, PA. Doors open at 7:00 pm. Film begins at 7:30 pm, followed by an expert panel discussion.
On the radar…
- Peddler’s Village 39th Annual Strawberry Fest returns the weekend of May 20 – May 21, from 10 am – 6 pm. The festival is rain or shine, and you can book strawberry festival packages here.
- The Street Eats Food Truck Event at Sand Castle Winery is Sunday, May 21. You can eat unlimited food truck items, paired with different Sand Castle wines. The event has limited space so email the event coordinator with questions, and purchase your tickets online in advance.
- 34th Annual Tamanend Herb and Plant Sale is this weekend. A tremendous selection of herbs is available for sale, with very knowledgeable members from the Tamanend Park Herb Gardening Club there to assist. The sale takes place at The Farmhouse in Tamanend Park, 1255 Second Street Pk., Southampton, PA.
And, for more details on any of our food calendar events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County, or click the “continue reading” link below.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…
Eating in Hunterdon County? Check out our Food Events in Hunterdon County calendar too!
SAVE THE DATES!
Friday, June 2: Cheese and Wine Tasting with local cheeses from Bucks County and nearby. Members only event. Details coming soon.
Sunday, June 25: Brunch at Genevieve’s Kitchen in Doylestown. Details coming soon.
Monday, July 3: Bowman’s to Bowman’s…Again! Come celebrate the holiday weekend with barbecue and good friends. Details coming soon.
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…
Want to know what’s happening in Hunterdon County? See our Food Events in Hunterdon County calendar.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (653)
- Farm Markets (311)
- Farms (260)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (149)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (174)
- People (35)
- Recipes (108)
- Restaurants (514)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (275)