Although summer doesn’t officially start until June 21st, can I have a raise of hands that it’s pretty much here? Woo. I hate having the air conditioning on but we have two princesses in the house – my schnauzer and, well, me.
So the weather forecast for this weekend is typical summer – hot, humid with scattered thunderstorms. Big surprise. But, wow, has the calendar starting filling up. Here are some highlights for this weekend. Don’t take my word for it, though, check out the full calendar to find something good to eat in Bucks County.
Why not start the weekend with a glass of local wine and fun music? At Crossing Vineyards & Winery, bring a picnic dinner and pick up a bottle of wine in the winery, then sit back on the grass and enjoy the entertainment every Friday night ($10 in advance; $15 at the door). Shady Brook Farm’s Summer Wine Concert Series, also on Friday evenings, offers wine tasting of Rose Bank Winery, as well as lots of goodies in the market to munch on while listening to the music. And at Shady Brook Farm’s other location, The Market, at Del Val College in Doylestown, you can enjoy the same on Friday nights at their Friday Night un(Wine)d Concerts.
Get your strawberries. Not too much time left for local strawberries so this would be a great weekend to get out and pick-your-own (see our previous post on where to go) or pick some up at a local farmers’ market or farm market. If you’re too lazy to even do that, check out the annual Strawberry Festival at the Salem United Church of Christ in Doylestown, on Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm.
How about some great BBQ and homemade pie? Hot Ribs, Cool Music takes place on Saturday in Perkasie Olde Towne from 11 am to 6 pm. Just make sure to get their early for the barbecue competition. We were late last year and missed it. But we were in time to sample some of the entries to the pie contest. Yum.
The FAMOUS 15th Annual LobsterFest of the Trinity Episcopal Church of Solebury is also Saturday afternoon, although it may be too late to order a lobster. If you haven’t ordered yet, you can still do so online through the end of today, Friday. Go, go…do it.
So you decided to just lie around on Saturday? No problem. Sunday morning, go get some pancakes and support a cure for breast cancer at the “Cakes for Cure” Pancake Breakfast at The Green Parrot in Newtown. The flipping starts at 7 am and goes ’til 11 am.
And depending on your interest, there’s the Bucks County Jewish Festival in Yardley, taking place Sunday afternoon from 12 – 4 pm (Shady Brook Farm). Falafel, kosher hot dogs, and who knows what else (every synagogue makes something different each year!). Or if that’s not your thing, stop by the 2nd Annual Stockton Day in Stockton, New Jersey. There will be food, wine, music and fun, and of course, the Stockton Farmers’ Market.
Speaking of farmers’ markets we have a new one that just opened this past Wednesday in Feasterville. Welcome to the Farmers’ Market at Playwicki Farm (2350 Bridgetown Pike) happening on Wednesdays from 4 to 7 pm. Read the nice column this week from Kate Fratti at The Intelligencer/Bucks County Courier Times on the Langhorne Farmers’ Markets on Tuesday afternoons.
What can you expect to find this week at local farm markets? Strawberries, lettuces and all kinds of greens, radishes, sweet Asian turnips, starter herb and vegetable plants, potted flowers and beautiful cut flowers; along with pastured beef and chicken; cheeses and yogurt from pastured animals; pastured eggs; bread and baked goods; preserved products; handmade soaps and lotions; honey; maple syrup; organic, fair trade, locally roasted coffees; prepared foods and fiber products. And as Robin Hoy, executive director of the Bucks County Foodshed Alliance says, “Farmers’ market products are 1,500 miles fresher!!!”
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Have a cool, relaxing weekend.
Friday, June 4th:
Forecast – Sunny, 90°
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [11 am – 7 pm]
- Warrington Farmers’ Market @ Valley Square, Warrington [3 – 6 pm]
- Ottsville Farmers’ Market @ Linden Hill Gardens, Ottsville [3 – 7 pm]
- Barrel Tappings @ Triumph Brewing Co., New Hope [6 – 7 pm]
- Friday Night un(Wine)d Concerts, Doylestown [6 – 9 pm]
- Summer Wine Concert Series @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6 – 9 pm]
- First Friday, Doylestown [6 – 9:30 pm]
- Summer Music Series @ Crossing Vineyards and Winery, Washington Crossing [7 – 10 pm]
- 22nd Tyler Tasting Party at the Tyler Mansion, Newtown [7 – 10 pm]
- Barbara Trent @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [7 – 11 pm]
- Kindle Cafe Supper Club @ Rojo’s Roastery, Lambertville, NJ [7:30 – 9:30 pm]
- Bob Egan @ Bowman’s Tavern, New Hope [8 pm-12 am]
Saturday, June 5th:
Forecast – Sunny, scattered thunderstorms, 88°
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market, Doylestown [7 am – 12 pm]
- Strawberry Festival @ Salem United Church of Christ, Doylestown [8 am – 2 pm]
- Plumsteadville Grange Farm Market, Plumsteadville [9 am – 12 pm]
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, Wrightstown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am – 3 pm]
- Hot Ribs, Cool Music in Perkasie Olde Towne, Perkasie [11 am – 6 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [12 – 5 pm]
- Opening Reception of the Studio of Ben Solowey, Bedminster [1 – 5 pm]
- Spaghetti Dinner @ Riegelsville Fire Company, Riegelsville [4 – 7 pm]
- Beef & Beer Fun @ Stockton Fire Co., Stockton, NJ [4 – 7 pm]
- 15th Annual LobsterFest @ Trinity Episcopal Church of Solebury, Solebury [4 – 8 pm]
- Sweet Sixteen in the Vineyard, Washington Crossing [6:30 – 9:30 pm]
- Tavern Tasting for Washington Crossing Park, Washington Crossing [7 – 11 pm]
Sunday, June 6th:
Forecast – Sunny, scattered thunderstorms, 78°
- “Cakes for Cure” Pancake Breakfast @ The Green Parrot, Newtown [7 am – 11 am]
- Breakfast Buffet @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [7 am – 12 pm]
- Breakfast @ Perkasie Fire Co., Perkasie [7:30 am – 12:30 pm]
- New York City Gourmet Foods Tour with an Italian Flair! by The Cooking Cottage, Sellersville [8 am – 7 pm]
- Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market, Hellertown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am – 3 pm]
- Chicken BarBQue Fund-raiser @ Chalfont Fire Co., Chalfont [11 am – 4 pm]
- Bucks County Jewish Festival, Yardley [12 – 4 pm]
- 2nd Annual Stockton Day, Stockton, NJ [1 – 4 pm]
- How Sweet It Is: Pairing Wine and Chocolate, Washington Crossing [2 – 5 pm]
Monday, June 7th:
Forecast – Sunny, 81°
- Complimentary Wine Sampling @ Yardley Inn, Yardley [5 – 9 pm]
- 94 Cents Cookie Night @ Chubby’s Dairy Barn, Plumsteadville [6 – 9 pm]
- Techniques of Cooking I: Decadent Desserts, Doylestown [7 – 9 pm]
Tuesday, June 8th:
- Langhorne Farmers’ Market, Langhorne [3:30 – 6:30 pm]
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (653)
- Farm Markets (311)
- Farms (260)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (149)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (174)
- People (35)
- Recipes (108)
- Restaurants (514)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (275)