The forecast this weekend is mixed – for the weather, but not for fun things to do and eat!
Strawberries still abound and overcast skies are the best conditions for picking it yourself, says personal chef, Rich Baringer, in his article on where to find strawberries in Bucks and how to pick them. I had one of those transcendent moments yesterday, out in the strawberry fields at our local CSA (community supported agriculture farm). It was hot. I picked a beautiful red ripe strawberry and popped it into my mouth. It was still warm. It was the sweetest strawberry I have tasted in years.
Raspberries are starting to appear this weekend. Shady Brook Farm says they have them, and they will be at the Wrightstown Farmers Market on Saturday and the Lower Makefield Farmers Market next Thursday. Berry, berry good.
Also, if you stop by the Wrightstown market, stay for the butter making demonstration by members of the Historic Foodways Society of Delaware Valley. This local group recreates and interprets for us modern day folk how cooking was done 100 – 200 years ago, or sometimes, as in this case, not even that long ago. Jane Magne, director of the Bucks County Foodshed Alliance and Wrightstown Township Supervisor, will be churning the butter and showing kids and adults alike how to easily make butter at home. Using local cream, they’ll make sweet cream butter, sour cream butter and compound butter (with herbs). They’ll also be dressed in period costume. Jane, who grew up on a Kansas farm, and spent her professional career as a microbiologist, knows a thing or two about churning butter in both a tasty and safe way!
Here’s a fun outing for Saturday (providing it doesn’t pour…). Stop by the Doylestown Farmers Market and then walk over to the Strawberry Festival at Salem United Church of Christ on Court Street. It’s an annual event that is everything strawberry – pancakes, baked goods, and other foods for purchase, as well as local crafters and artisans and a quilt raffle.
Saturday also brings another annual festival, this one in Upper Black Eddy. The 3rd Annual Coffee, Crafts & Music Festival will take place at the Homestead General Store from 11 am to 4 pm – weather permitting. The rain date is Sunday, if need be. Frenchtown – just across the river in New Jersey – will be holding their Second Saturday monthly celebration too (New Hope, PA too!).
Welcome Holland Township Farmers Market, opening for the first time tomorrow, Saturday, June 11, from 9 am to 1 pm. The new market will take place at Riegel Ridge Community Center, 910 Milford-Warren Glen Rd. in Milford, NJ. Stop by and help support this fledgling market, to be open every other Sunday through the summer. More details to follow in our 2011 Farmers Market post. For more information, or if you’d like to be a vendor, please contact Mary Denvir at 908.797.6090 or e-mail at marydenvir@hotmail for further details and an application.
Coming next week…Father’s Day on Sunday, June 19. Where will you take your Dad? Us? We’re going to a firehouse breakfast, as my Dad as been begging to go to one for ages. There are FOUR next Sunday.
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Have a lovely, delicious and satisfying weekend. Follow Bucks County Taste also on Facebook and Twitter.
Friday, June 10:
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [1-7 pm]
- Ottsville Farmers’ Market, Linden Hill Gardens, Ottsville [4-8 pm]
- Beer Tasting, Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [4-6 pm]
- Friday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington, NJ [5-8 pm]
- Spaghetti Dinner @ Delaware Valley Fire Co, Erwinna [5:30 – 7:30 pm]
- Wine Concert Series @ The Market at DelVal, Doylestown [6 pm–9 pm]
- Wine Concert Series @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6 pm–9 pm]
- Summer Fireworks in New Hope/Lambertville – New Hope, PA & Lambertville, NJ [9:30 – 10:30 pm]
Saturday, June 11:
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market, Doylestown [7 am-12 pm]
- Strawberry Festival @ Salem United Church of Christ, Doylestown [8 am – 2 pm]
- Plumsteadville Grange Farm Market, Plumsteadville [9 am – 12 pm]
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, Wrightstown [9 am-1 pm]
- Holland Township Farmers’ Market, Milford, NJ [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am-4 pm]
- Annual Coffee & Crafts Festival @ the Homestead General Store, Upper Black Eddy [11 am – 4 pm]
- Pink Day @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [11 am – 4 pm]
- Picnic at the Vineyards – Unionville Vineyards, Ringoes, NJ [12 – 5 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [12-6 pm]
- 2nd annual BBQ Cookoff for a Cure, Hatfield [12 – 6 pm]
- The Dan Webb Road to Recovery Beef-and-Beer (fundraiser), Newtown [1 – 5 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ New Hope Beverage, New Hope [3-7 pm]
- Second Saturdays in New Hope, New Hope [3 – 9 pm]
- Dinner @ Plumsteadville Fire Co., Plumsteadville [4 – 8 pm]
- Saturday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington [5-8 pm]
Sunday, June 12:
- Breakfast Buffet @ Richland Twshp Fire & Rescue, Quakertown [8 am – 1 pm]
- Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, Flemington, NJ [9 am-1 pm]
- Saucon Valley Farmers’ Market, Hellertown [9 am – 1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am-4 pm]
- Fun on The Farm @ The Market at DelVal, Doylestown [11 am – 4 pm]
- Picnic at the Vineyards @ Unionville Vineyards, Ringoes, NJ [12 – 5 pm]
- A Dummies Guide to Wine Tasting @ Crossing Vineyards and Winery, Washington Crossing [2 – 4 pm]
- Benefit Dinner for A Woman’s Place @ Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5 – 9 pm]
Monday, June 13:
- Soupcon Salon by Kindle Cafe @ Manon, Lambertville, NJ [7 – 9:15 pm]
Tuesday, June 14:
- Langhorne Farmers’ Market, Langhorne [3:30 – 6:30 pm]
- Cooking Asian Greens with Kathy D’Addario (class), Horsham [7 – 9 pm]
Wednesday, June 15:
- Pierogy Wednesdays @ St. Anne Ukrainian, Warrington [9 am – 12 pm]
- The Farmers’ Market @ Playwicki Farm, Feasterville [4 – 7 pm]
- Global Dinner @ The Cafe at Rosemont, Rosemont, NJ [5 – 8 pm]
- Complimentary Beer Tasting @ the Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5 – 9 pm]
- Schnitzel Night @ United German Hungarians Club, Bensalem [5:30 – 7:30 pm]
Thursday, June 16:
- The Taste of Summer (class), Sellersville [10 am – 12 pm]
- New Hope Farmers’ Market, New Hope [2:30-6:30 pm]
- Lower Makefield Farmers’ Market, Lower Makefield [3:30 – 6:30 pm]
- Sushi Night in the Wine Cellar – The Inn at Lambertville Station, Lambertville, NJ [6 – 10 pm]
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (650)
- Farm Markets (309)
- Farms (260)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (149)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (174)
- People (35)
- Recipes (108)
- Restaurants (513)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (275)