Happy August! Where is the summer going? Wasn’t it just yesterday we were planning the first BBQ of the season? We still have some time, and there are plenty of events this week where you can get some end-of-summer grub. Don’t forget, corn and peaches are finally here, along with other favorite summer produce items. They make great additions to any summer dinner, salad, or if you just want a tasty, local snack.
On Wednesdays, we drink wine. This Wednesday, August 3, come to McCoole’s at the Red Lion Inn for its first Wednesday of the month complementary wine tasting. This week, they will feature two wines from the La Corsa winery. One is the Dueluglio 2013 Vermentino, which is well-balanced and goes well with light fish dishes, and the other wine will be the Macchiatonda Toscana Rosato, which is a rosé Tuscan inspired by Provence rosé.
Also, McCoole’s also has a happy hour from 5 – 9 pm for cocktails on Wednesdays and a happy hour food menu as well. Happy hour is available on the patio area and bar area. For reservations, call 215.538.1776.
The favorite treat for kids to eat. Join the United German Hungarians in Bensalem for a Schnitzel Night at the club, every first Wednesday of the month. Dinner is $10 for adults and $5 for children, dessert is available for purchase, and there is a fully stocked cash bar. You also get two side dishes plus a salad, bread and butter, coffee or tea. The meal includes schnitzel (pork), red cabbage, and spaetzle (dumplings). Reservations aren’t necessary, but if you’re planning on bringing a large group, call Kathi Galgon at 215.542.0868. The dinner begins at 5:30 pm.
Bucks County Farm Potluck.
This Wednesday, August 3, is the final stop in the 2016 farm tour series, hosted by the Bucks County Foodshed Alliance and Buy Fresh Buy Local. Your destination is Manoff Market Gardens, which Gary and Amy have been farming on since 1984. Their first peach orchard block they planted White Hale peach trees and other varieties for testing. Their other blocks of peaches have been thriving ever since. Now, the Manoff Market Gardens have white and yellow peaches, white and yellow nectarines, and 25 varieties of apples.
The tour is free, but donations are accepted to offset the cost of BCFA’s programs. The potluck runs from 6 pm – 7 pm with the tour to follow. Bring your own dish to share with others and your own eating equipment, beverages and seating. Be expected to carry out your own trash, and children who are under adult’s supervision are welcome.
Beerfest Pubcrawl. The Spinnerstown Hotel is getting prepared for this year’s Upper Bucks Brewfest on August 20 so it has decided to take part in a month-long pub crawl with other local establishments. The hotel has plenty of beer-friendly activities planned for Thursday, August 4, such as a solo acoustic instrumental set from 7 pm – 10 pm with local musician Chris Aguayo. There will be a special Brewfest pub crawl with small plates prepared by Chef Ricky Heinrichs, and a special tapping of Stone Brewing limited release Imperial IPAs on draft.
Additionally there will be the following Stone beers on tap: Ruination 2.0, Ruination on American oak, Ruination with orange peel & vanilla bean, and Ruin Ten. Guests will receive a raffle ticket for each Stone beer purchased, and the prizes include two VIP Brewfest Tickets, $25 gift certificate to Link’s Beverage, three $25 gift cards to Spinnerstown Hotel, two general admission Brewfest Tickets, or a wrapped gift craft beer basket.
Race your vegetables. Remember when your parents used to tell you not to play with your food? You can do more than play this Thursday, August 4, at the Lower Makefield Township Farmers Market, by entering the annual Zucchini Race. Take any size zucchini, attach dowels through the vegetable, and personalize your veggie vehicle to send it down the special race track at the farmers market. There will be four chances to win prizes for the zucchini races, including a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and best design. Registration closes by 5 pm on the day of the race. Have your zucchini on the track by 5:15 pm for the 5:30 pm race time.
Check out this video Bucks County Taste took back in 2010. Which zucchini will win it all?
Check out some of the winners from a previous zucchini race. Do you have what it takes to beat these champions? Don’t forget to register!
On the radar…
- Celebrity Chef Farm to Table Dinner: The second celebrity chef farm-to-table will feature a celebration of food and the cooking of two great chefs. Chef Keith Blalock of PA Soup and Seafood and Penn taproom, and Chef Kevin Blalock of Lookaway Golf Club will be the twin chefs on Saturday, August 13, at Bucks County Audubon Society at Honey Hollow. Buy your tickets today here.
- Summer clam bake. Enjoy a clam bake feast at the Sand Castle Winery on Saturday, August 14, from 1 pm – 4 pm. You’ll get one dozen steamed clams in a garlic and white wine sauce, stuffed clams, and fried clam strips. Other dishes will be available for purchase a la carte. Tickets must be purchased in advance. They are available for sale through Thursday, August 11. Call 610.294.8303 or reserve online.
- Jersey Shore Dinner: The Jersey Shore dinner at Hamilton Grill Room returns on August 16, 17, and 18. It’s a shore inspired dinner filled with seafood and served in the dining room and outside in the garden. These spots fill up quickly so reserve your spot in advance here.
- Newtown Beerfest: Tickets for the Newtown Beerfest are currently for sale. This event is Saturday, September 17, but since it’s a popular event, it’s recommended you buy your tickets in advance. The beerfest includes live music, food, and plenty of local breweries.
We’re working on setting up some lovely dinners this summer.
Get on our email list below and be the first to know!
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County, or click the “continue reading” link below.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…
Eating in Hunterdon County? Check out our Food Events in Hunterdon County calendar too!
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Follow Bucks County Taste on…
Want to know what’s happening in Hunterdon County? See our Food Events in Hunterdon County calendar.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (54)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (632)
- Farm Markets (302)
- Farms (259)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (146)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (174)
- People (35)
- Recipes (107)
- Restaurants (494)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (266)