This Sunday, April 12 marks the 4th Annual Philly Farm & Food Fest, a food fair that brings regional farmers, food producers, artisanal food businesses, and other providers of sustainable goods and services together under one roof. The Farm & Food Fest, collaboratively hosted by Fair Food and the Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture, is one of the country’s biggest single-day food festivals.
This year’s festival features over 150 exhibitors and 50,000 square feet of local food, free workshops and cooking demonstrations, and a couple of really cool features, like the Local Libations Lounge and a CSA pop-up shop where you can learn the ins and outs of Community Supported Agriculture and even sign up for a share at the farm of your choice.
Here are some of the interesting workshops at the fest:
- Butchers Block: Classes in whole animal butchery and carving with experts.
- Urban Homesteading Takeover: Classes on composting, backyard chicken basics, beekeeping, and edible landscapes for urban spaces.
- For Future Farms: Workshops focused on teaching kids about farming (children under 12 get free admission).
- Local Cookbook Author Takeover: Featuring live-action demos bringing the pages of popular local cookbooks to life. “How to get the most bang from your local meat dollar,” “Stumped for Sides,” “Preserving with Natural Sweeteners,” and “Going Beyond Kombucha.”
Local friends at the fest:
Castle Valley Mill – Bucks County’s very own grain mill. Castle Valley Mill produces flours, meals and grain mixes, including ones made of ancient grains.
Cherry Grove Farm – Across the river in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, Cherry Grove Farm is a grass-based dairy that produces raw and pasteurized cheeses. Their heritage breed cows eat on certified organic grazing grounds.
Delaware Valley University – Delaware Valley University (formerly known as Delaware Valley College)
Fulper Family Farmstead – Over a century of sustainable farm family tradition, the Fulper Family now offers products from their dairy including fresh ricotta, mozzarella, yogurt and more. Learn more about them from our post here.
Snipes Farm and Education Center – Snipes Farm is an agricultural landmark in Bucks County, having been owned and farmed by the same family for 11 generations. Learn about the farm, their CSA and their great educational programs.
The 2015 Philly Farm and Food Fest is from 11 am to 4 pm on Sunday, April 12, at the PA Convention Center ANNEX, Hall G, Entrance at Broad & Race Streets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107. Buy your tickets online here or get them at the door.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (668)
- Farm Markets (316)
- Farms (261)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (152)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (173)
- People (34)
- Recipes (109)
- Restaurants (521)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (279)