For those of us who will still be stuck here roaming the earth after the rapture, we might as well enjoy ourselves, no? My husband tells me – and he’s the one who watches the news 24/7 for his living – that the ones left behind will have five whole months before the end of the world, hell, whatever. All the more reason, I say, to take pleasure in our beautiful earthly existence, and even practice kindness to others – just in case.
The weather should be equally as unpredictable this weekend, here in the rain forests of Bucks County. Every forecast I look at differs from the one before. Scattered thunderstorms, showers and the like. Some sunshine (like right now). It’s almost a British weather report. My heartfelt sympathy to anyone who has a wedding scheduled this weekend.
So, let’s ignore all that and go about our business anyway. What are the highlights for this week?
On Saturday, Meet Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer, authors of the local, bestselling cookbook series, Canal House Cooking. They will be teaching a cooking class and signing books afterwards at Whole Foods Market in Princeton on Route 1 beginning at 12:00 pm. To learn more about these great cookbooks, see our earlier post, Canal House Cooking: A local voice.
Enjoy the annual celebration, Springfest in Perkasie Olde Towne, previously “Hot Ribs, Cool Music Festival”. The rib competition and music will still be main events, as well as the pie baking and eating contest, and beer and wine tasting. There will also be lots of fun kids’ activities and other food choices. Festivities begin at noon on Saturday and go to 9 pm. Come early for the ribs!
Also on Saturday, check out Newtown Uncorked, the annual wine and food festival, taking place 2 pm to 6 pm at the Newtown Swim Club and featuring local wines and restaurants.
If you are still looking for something to eat on Saturday, swing by Stockton for the BBQ & Beer Picnic & Fundraiser at the Stockton Fire Company, from 4 pm to 7 pm.
Earl’s Bucks County in Lahaska has begun a monthly tradition this spring, called, “Thirsty Thursdays.” Last month it was a dinner focused on good Scotch. This month, Tequila. So if you’re a fan of good Tequila, check out Thirsty Thursdays Tequila Dinner at Earl’s this Thursday, May 26 from 7 pm to 10 pm.
To market, to market. What can you expect to find at area farmers’ markets this week? Asparagus, rhubarb, carrots, mushrooms, arugula, bok choy, cabbage, baby kale, kale, all kinds of lettuce: Butterhead, head, microgreens, Mesclun, red leaf, salad mixes and more, radishes, cabbage, sorrel, spinach, spring garlic (scapes), potting plants, cut herbs; pastured meats (chicken, beef, lamb), eggs, cheeses, baked goods, honey and prepared foods. Seasonal markets now open: New Hope (Thursday), Ottsville (Friday), Wrightstown and Doylestown (Saturday), Hunterdon Land Trust Alliance in Flemington (Sunday) and, of course, Stockton (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). A bunch more will open in June.
Local strawberries are just starting to show up, a little delayed by all the rain, but hopefully not washed away like two years ago. Do me a favor, however. When you see strawberries, or other berries, locally, let me know where you found them, and also ask the vendor where they are from (sometimes “local” is interpreted rather widely). For tips on where to go and how to pick berries, see Rich Baringer’s post from last May, Pick-your-own-strawberries in Bucks.
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County. Have a dry, rapturous weekend.
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [1-7 pm]
- Ottsville Farmers’ Market @ Linden Hill Gardens, Ottsville [4-8 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [4-6 pm]
- Friday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington, NJ [5-8 pm]
- Wine Concert Series @ The Market at DelVal, Doylestown [6 pm–9 pm]
- Wine Concert Series @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6 pm–9 pm]
- Wine & Cheese Pairing @ Chaddsford Winery, Lahaska [7 pm–9 pm]
- 7th Annual Taste of the World Gala, Perkasie [7 – 10 pm]
- Barbara Trent @ The Centre Bridge Inn, New Hope [7-11 pm]
- Kindle Cafe Supper Club @ Rojo’s Roastery, Lambertville, NJ [7:30-9:30 pm]
Saturday, May 21:
- Doylestown Farmers’ Market, Doylestown [7 am-12 pm]
- Food & Wine Tasting @ None Such Farm Market, Buckingham [8 am – 6 pm]
- Wrightstown Farmers’ Market, Wrightstown [9 am-1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [9 am-4 pm]
- Canal House Cooking (class/book signing), Princeton, NJ [12 – 1:30 pm]
- Wine Tasting @ Phillips’ Fine Wines, Stockton, NJ [12-6 pm]
- Springfest in Perkasie Olde Towne, Perkasie [12 – 9 pm]
- Newtown Uncorked, Newtown [2 – 6 pm]
- Beer Tasting @ New Hope Beverage, New Hope [3-7 pm]
- BBQ & Beer Picnic & Fundraiser @ Stockton Fire Co, Stockton, NJ [4 – 7 pm]
- Saturday Wine & Music @ Hopewell Valley Vineyards, Pennington [5-8 pm]
Sunday, May 22:
- Breakfast Buffet @ Father Gallen Council 5494, Warrington [7:30 – 11 am]
- Hunterdon Land Trust Farmers’ Market, Flemington, NJ [9 am-1 pm]
- Stockton Farmers’ Market, Stockton, NJ [10 am-4 pm]
- Mini Herb Garden @ Tinicum Herb Barn, Erwinna [1 – 3 pm]
- Wine and BBQ @ Old York Cellars, Ringoes, NJ [1 – 4 pm]
- Music @ Villa Milagro Vineyards, Finesville, NJ [2 – 5 pm]
- CB Cares 4th Annual Celebrity Chef & Waiter Gala 2011, Doylestown [6 – 10 pm]
Tuesday, May 24:
- Cruise Night @ Shady Brook Farm, Yardley [6 – 9 pm]
- Pizza and Calzone (class), Doylestown [7 – 9 pm]
Wednesday, May 25:
- Pierogy Wednesdays @ St. Anne Ukrainian, Warrington [9 am – 12 pm]
- Complimentary Beer Tasting @ the Copper Leaf Grill, Buckingham [5 – 9 pm]
- Cook & Eat Healthy, Doylestown Township [6 – 8 pm]
- Date Night – Couples Cooking (class), Doylestown [6:30 – 8:30 pm]
Thursday, May 26:
- New Hope Farmers’ Market, New Hope [2:30-6:30 pm]
- Sushi Night in the Wine Cellar @ The Inn at Lambertville Station, Lambertville, NJ [6 – 10 pm]
- Thirsty Thursdays Tequila Dinner @ Earl’s, Lahaska [7 – 10 pm]
For more details on any of these events, please go to our full calendar, Food Events in Bucks County.
Please Support Our Advertisers
- Bakers (8)
- Charity (56)
- Cookbooks (19)
- Events (669)
- Farm Markets (317)
- Farms (261)
- Food Quotes (1)
- Holidays (152)
- Local Color (61)
- Other Places (23)
- Other Things About Food (173)
- People (34)
- Recipes (109)
- Restaurants (521)
- Retail stores (13)
- Sweets (83)
- Tweets (299)
- Uncategorized (13)
- Vegetarian/Vegan (40)
- Vineyards, Breweries and Bars (280)